Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cisco help needed!!!

Unhappy Cisco help needed!!!

I have a bit of a problem. I was upgrading my cisco IOS the other night to fix a problem with my mail client not authenticating properly... and to just get the newest IOS.

I DO have console access and it is my router... The router is a Cisco 806 broadband router.

After uploading my new IOS, I reloaded it like you normally would... this is what I get...

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XM3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 17-100) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80013000, size: 0x4c589c

Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0x7CAF0C71
    þ Expected a checksum of 0x7CAF0C9E
    *** System received a Software forced crash ***
    signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x0
    PC = 0xbaddaddd, Vector = 0xbaddaddd, SP = 0xbaddaddd
    I tried to upgrade it to c806-o3sy6-mz.123-2.T.bin from c806-o3sy6-mz.122-4.YH.bin
    Everytime I reboot it... I get that message so I can't get to CLI to erase flash to load a different IOS image...

Here is what I have tired so far...

Using the process here I have gotten into ROMMON to change the registers...

Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of the power-up to put the router into ROMMON.

If the break sequence doesn't work, see Possible Key Combinations for Break Sequence During Password Recovery for other key combinations.

Type confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompt to boot from Flash without loading the configuration.

Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt.

The router reboots but ignores its saved configuration.
    Since I can get to ROMMON I can change the registers...

Configuration Registers

The global configuration command - config-register is used to modify the behaviour of the router. Weather or not it boots from saved configuration. Weather or not it boots from the flash or the boot-proms.

The following page is an excellent reference for configuration registers http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ig/vconfig.htm

In summary these Boot Registers are quite handy:

The value range is from 0x0 to 0xFFFF.
    0x2102 is the factory-default configuration register value.
    0x2142 boots from flash without using NVRAM contents good for password recovery.
    0x2101 boots from boot prom image not flash, good for upgrading image on flash.
    0x2141 boots from boot prom and ignores NVRAM contents.
    0x141, which disables the Break key, ignores the NVRAM configuration, and
    boots the default system image from ROM.
    Source

I have tried ALL of these registers.. and I can't get to CLI.
    Everything I have tried still results in the message that is in my first quote.

I have just seen the boot helper image.. and am going to mess with that for a bit.

Configuring the Boot Field
    The lowest four bits of the processor configuration register (bits 3, 2, 1, and 0) form the boot field. (See Table D-2.)

Table D-2 Explanation of Boot Field (Configuration Register Bits 00-03)

Boot Field Meaning
    Stays at the system bootstrap prompt (ROM monitor) on a reload or power cycle

Boots the boot helper image as a system image

02-F
    Specifies a default netboot filename

Enables default booting from system Flash memory

Enables boot system commands that override the default netboot filename1

1Values of the boot field are 2-15 in the form cisco<n>-processor_name, where 2 < n < 15.

The boot field specifies a number in binary. If you set the boot field value to 0, you must have console port access to boot the operating system manually. Boot the operating system manually by entering the b command at the bootstrap prompt as follows:

> b [tftp] flash filename
    Definitions of the various command options follow:

b—Boots the default system software from ROM
    b flash—Boots the first file in Flash memory
    b filename [host]—Boots over the network using TFTP
    b flash [filename]—Boots the file (filename) from Flash memory
    For more information about the b [tftp] flash filename command, see the appropriate Cisco IOS software publications.

If you set the boot field value to a value of 2 through F, and there is a valid system boot command stored in the configuration file, the router boots the system software as directed by that value. (See Table D-3.) If you set the boot field to any other bit pattern, the router uses the resulting number to form a default boot filename for booting from a network (TFTP) server.

If there are no boot commands in the configuration file, the router attempts to boot the first file in system Flash memory. If no file is found in system Flash memory, the router attempts to netboot a default file whose name is derived from the value of the boot field (for example: cisco2-4500). If the attempt to boot from a network (TFTP) server fails, the boot helper image in boot Flash will boot up.

If boot commands are in the configuration file, the router software processes each boot command in sequence until the process is successful or the end of the list is reached. If the end of the list is reached without a file being successfully booted, the router will retry the netboot commands up to six times unless the boot default ROM software if netboot fails bit (bit 13 of the virtual configuration register) is set. If bit 13 is set, the system boots the boot helper image found in boot Flash memory without any retries.

In the following example, the virtual configuration register is set to boot the router automatically from Flash memory and to ignore Break at the next reboot of the router
    Mybe I'm missing something here... but how do I change the boot register to get the boot helper image instead of the sysem image stored in flash?! Will I be able to delete the other image in flash from the boot helper?
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ig/vconfig.htm
    Can Someone help me understand?

When I change confreg 00 or 0x00 or what? will that leave me at bootstrap where I can try to load a system image from a tftp server? I have other system images I know that works... I just need to load it to flash...

Configuration Register
    The virtual configuration register is in nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) and has the same functionality as other Cisco routers. You can view or modify the virtual configuration register from either the ROM monitor or the operating system software. Within ROM monitor, you can change the configuration register by entering the register value in hexadecimal format, or by allowing the ROM monitor to prompt you for the setting of each bit.

Changing the Configuration Register Manually
    To change the virtual configuration register from the ROM monitor manually, enter the command confreg followed by the new value of the register in hexadecimal, as shown in the following example:

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2101

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect
    rommon 2 >

The value is always interpreted as hexadecimal. The new virtual configuration register value is written into NVRAM but does not take effect until you reset or reboot the router.

Changing the Configuration Register Using Prompts
    Entering confreg without an argument displays the contents of the virtual configuration register and a prompt to alter the contents by describing the meaning of each bit.

In either case, the new virtual configuration register value is written into NVRAM but does not take effect until you reset or reboot the router.

The following display shows an example of entering the confreg command:

rommon 7> confreg

Configuration Summary
    enabled are:
    console baud: 9600
    boot: the ROM Monitor

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: y
    enable "diagnostic mode"? y/n [n]: y
    enable "use net in IP bcast address"? y/n [n]:
    enable "load rom after netboot fails"? y/n [n]:
    enable "use all zero broadcast"? y/n [n]:
    enable "break/abort has effect"? y/n [n]:
    enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]:
    change console baud rate? y/n [n]: y
    enter rate: 0 = 9600, 1 = 4800, 2 = 1200, 3 = 2400 [0]: 0
    change the boot characteristics? y/n [n]: y
    enter to boot:
    0 = ROM Monitor
    1 = the boot helper image
    2-15 = boot system
    [0]: 0

Configuration Summary
    enabled are:
    diagnostic mode
    console baud: 9600
    boot: the ROM Monitor

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]:

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect
    Source

Then I'd need to xfer via console since I won't have any ip set to my LAN ethernet interface?

I called cisco support and they told me that I'd have to open a TAC in which I'd need a contract (which I don't have)... etc. etc.

Is there any way I can resolve my problem? I'm not a cisco newbie... I just don't use them all that much and they don't teach us that kind of stuff in class... just the basic config... not how to bring one back to life... I have already messed it all up and I'm a little nervous of changing too much stuff and I won't be able to do anything at all!!!

I'll be on vacation thurs night (7/31) through tues night (8/5) so if I don't reply between that time... its because I don't have access to a PC...

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you to anyone who does reply.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just Another Geek
    I've played around abit with the 803's. These shouldn't be all that different.

When it boots keep hitting ^C (control-C) until you get the boot# prompt. After that you should be able to use the set command to set an ip addres/subnet mask for your ethernet interface. Once that's done you can use the upload command to tftp a new IOS into ram. Use save to save it to nvram. On the boot prompt you can use the help command to see which commands are available.

Make sure the MD5 checksum is correct before trying to load it into your cisco. The ios you've downloaded probably got corrupted somewhere. If you FTP'd it make sure it's in BIN mode before transfering!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice:

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware that ^c would get me to a boot prompt... I had thought I had tired that, but I'll try it again. It locks up within 60 seconds and so far the only thing I've been able to do is to get it to ROMMON. (using break before it locks up)

Unfortunately I have to work today. So, I won't have time to mess with it until I get off or worse after I get back from vacation. I will def take a quick 20 min to try out your suggestinon.

Even though the ^c might get me to a boot prompt, I'm still a little confused as to how to change the boot reg. to go to the boot-helper image instead of trying to load an image from flash (which is causing me the errors). I've been a bit pressed for time, so I haven't gotten to read all that I would have liked to. I'll bring a cisco book with me on my camping/road trip...

Can anyone else confirm what SirDice suggested? Anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just Another Geek
    Nice info Cybr1d but these all assume you can still boot your IOS. It's more about finding out why your router/switch crashed (and recovered after a reboot).

Phishpreek's problem is that his IOS doesn't even load properly and crashes during the attempt to start it. This is probably due to a corrupt IOS image.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Back from vacation and time to start working on this problem again.

When it boots keep hitting ^C (control-C) until you get the boot# prompt.
    I have not been able to get it to go to the boot prompt... the most I can get is to ROMMON with the ^break combo....

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Ok! I got it! wow! That was a heck of a learning experience.... or a headache... whichever you prefer.

Here is how I did it...

I wet into rommon and I saw a tftpdnld command... which you can use for disaster recovery. I set my rommon parameters and then I was able to DL the IOS again!

Go this URL on what u need to do,,Step by step instructions..

Ur error message when upgraded IOS was most likely image was not
    complete,(dropped packets somewhere)...

Only way is to reboot from Rom and copy new image from scratch

Good Luck,,,

Sorry "brain fart" here is URL: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...800942bc.shtml

I appreciate you trying to help, but I solved my problem. (at least for now)

Here is how to load a IOS from the ROMMON. That is what I had to do. Just be sure to set the ROMMON environment settings before trying to xfer the IOS.

Its pretty cool learning new OSs. Especially after just taking classes on it and not knowing how to solve you're problem. Even my teacher wasn't sure exactly how to fix it.... so much for the troubleshooting chapters in the books....

cant load IOS from rommon

I have found this old post and I am having a similar problem. I was trying to upgared the IOS in my Cisco SOHO 91. The .bin file was corrupt so it errored out and now will only boot to ROMMON. I have followed the instructions above and set the IP, SUB Net, Gateway, and TFTP Server. Everything is correct. It will not load. When I type tftpdnld it says... missing or illiegal Ip address for the variable ip ddress. I have also tried using Xmodem and that just times out.

Any help is appreciated

Bill

I don't have access to a ROMMON console at the moment... so I'll have to work from memory.

Actually... I'll just use the links I've posted:

rommon 16 &gt; IP_ADDRESS=171.68.171.0
    rommon 17 &gt; IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.254.0
    rommon 18 &gt; DEFAULT_GATEWAY=171.68.170.3
    rommon 19 &gt; TFTP_SERVER=171.69.1.129
    rommon 20 &gt; TFTP_FILE=c2600-is-mz.113-2.0.3.Q
    rommon 21 &gt; tftpdnld
    You are setting all this info? Is your tftp server and router on the same subnet?
    Is your tftp server setup to download files from it? I beleive mine was set only to receive, not send at first.
    Are you putting the new IOS image file in the root of the tftp server? I know it isn't necessary... but helps.
    Are you sure you have the right IOS for your router?
    Does your router have enough resources to load this new image?

Can you copy and paste your session if probems persist so I can see everything that happened?
    You can PM it to me if you'd like.

Thanks