Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: window's shut down pop up

window's shut down pop up

for the past few weeks now every 10 minutes a window pop's up, and it says something along the lines of "other users on on, are u sure u want to shut down...yes or no" almost EVERY 10 minutes, and it gets reall anyoing. also, if no one else is loged on( I have windows XP) it will just automaticly shut down

i scaned my whole computer for virsus, and none are present.

dose anyone know whats going on here?!?! please help

thanks a lot
    <s>all your base are belong to us!

ever heard of

Adaware

Spybot search and destroy

also, did you turn off messanger in Xp services?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

yeah, i do have addaware, and when i run it, should i jsut go ahead and dealeat or quarinte everyting in there, or could that cause more trouble

Banned
    no trouble ...just delete every spyware it finds

cool thanks, i was wondering, becuase i didn't know what some of it was, and i dind't wanna *** anything up

Certainly the first step is to check for and remove ad-ware. However, it seems to me that it could be other things as well. If running a removal program doesn't take care of it, let us know and provide some more detail.

just a stab in the dark...search for sub7 too..., I could be terribly wrong...but sum1 could also be phuckin with you.

Re: window's shut down pop up

Originally posted here by theyortiscool
    for the past few weeks now every 10 minutes a window pop's up, and it says something along the lines of "other users on on, are u sure u want to shut down...yes or no" almost EVERY 10 minutes, and it gets reall anyoing. also, if no one else is loged on( I have windows XP) it will just automaticly shut down
    I have a couple of questions.
    When this happens, are you the only one logged in ? or are you using the 'fast user switching' utility in XP ?
    It sounds to me you have been compromised if this happens when you are the only logged in.
    Further, are you running a firewall ? you definatly should. Here are some free ones:
    sygate
    zone-alarm
    outpost

You should also try to search for possible trojans on your system using something like:
    The Cleaner or
    Tauscan

I hope this can be of any help, feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Buenos Dias
    noODle

Something that nobody else seems to have addressed is:
    every 10 minutes a window pop's up, and it says something along the lines of "other users on on, are u sure u want to shut down...yes or no" almost EVERY 10 minutes
    and it sounds like you aren't hitting the shut down button or anything...it's just trying to shut down all on it's own. This would be more than just a problem of having more than one active account.....actually this could be one of a million things so I can't really give you an answer but here's a question for you: does this seem to be tied to anything else? Like, does it do it every time you run a specific program? There could be some kind of script (more like an auto-executing shortcut...) that somebody put on there as a joke that would make it try and shut down without any warning every 10 min....I've done something similar to that to a friend's computer as a joke. If this were the case then I doubt that ad-aware or a firewall could stop it. You'd have to talk to the person that had access to your computer right before it started acting up.