Thread: Using Windows and Unix together

Using Windows and Unix together

I have XP, was wondering if I could safely install a verson of Unix on my system so that I could still use XP. Thnx

sry, disregard last msg, found the previous post.

yes, most unix/linux distrobutions will safely install a dual boot...

but before you do anything (ie install *nix)... defrag your Hard Drive!!!
    if not, linux might screw windows up...

if you have a spare hard drive around, then i wouldn't worry about a thing...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I would make sure to backup everything that is important on the Hd on to a cd or other removeable media and test the backup on another computer to make sure they work. then double check you have everything you want backed up. before installing any other O.S

Well in this one I will tell you is very easy. Yes it will now, Tampa I think that most *nix systems will Defrag for you. Now I know that Suse, Cladera, REdhat will do everything for you. Now the only problem do just what Acid said you need to Back it up becuase *nix might over write your other OS. It is a bitch to re-install XP

ya and my system didn't come with an XP cd so it probably would be a little hard to reinstall it Thnx

dantesheaven, you didn't mention how much space you have left on your drive. Am assuming you have enough space but you might want to make sure that you do.

With space and a defrag you should be all set. Like the other guys mentioned, backup just in case but everything should go ok.

Good luck

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

If splitting your disk up into partitions scares you, you can also try a UMSDOS-based Linux system. These systems run over DOS partitions. The performance isn't quite as good, and it isn't quite the "real thing", but if you just want to fiddle around with learning shell scripts and things, you might want to give it a try. I'm not sure of it's current version, but you might try (among others) Zipslack.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency