Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP help

Question WinXP help

Hi guys, I got a problem here. I just installed Windows XP Pro last week and it works fine, but starting yesterday, my keyboard stops working and restart the PC itself... the worst thing as of now is that I can't boot up into my Windows XP! Can anybody help me out on this...

BTW here are the specs of the PC:
    Pentium III 550Mhz
    128 SDRAM RAM
    10GB HDD

Thanks for any help.
    \"Knowledge is the beginning of something you don\'t know.\"

since you just installed it last week I'll asume you don't have anything interesting on it..

Format your box and install Windows 2000!!

550 Mhz is just to slow for XP
    and also 128 MB is the absolute minimum for XP

the only real difference betweeen 2000 and XP is the "Telletubby look and feel" of Windows XP
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Unhappy

Actually I'm pissed off with this PC.. It has so many errors.. sometimes it will crash (blue screen) and give messege like "Data dumping to memory.." or something similar to that.. I think i refromatted this almost 5 to 8 times for cat's sake!!!

Net you need to Run a system check. When you first turn on your computer press f2 and go into your BIOS and run a system check I can't remember if it is in your BIOS or somewhere else but you need to see your Hard Drive might be Fried.

Whizkid2300

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by netbreaker
    Actually I'm pissed off with this PC.. It has so many errors.. sometimes it will crash (blue screen) and give messege like "Data dumping to memory.." or something similar to that.. I think i refromatted this almost 5 to 8 times for cat's sake!!!
    You sound like you're having hardware problems.

My first point of call would be to open up the lid & use a vacuum cleaner with the soft brush attachment to remove any dust & debris.

Then check to see how well the processor fan is spinning. If it's not doing too well buying a new one migt help.

Check all cables & connectors and that everything is screwed into place and not rattling around loose.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Format your box and install Windows 2000!!

550 Mhz is just to slow for XP
    and also 128 MB is the absolute minimum for XP
    I beg to differ...

When running a computer on 433mhz and 128mb ram before i got a new machine, i found it to be adiquit and never crashed once!

How old is this machine? Sounds about 3 years old to me... some of the hardware may be on the way out, ie: the motherboard and/or the hard drive.

Try re-formatting with XP, if the keyboard is working again then carry on as normal... if you find that this happens again i suggest you backup your files and look to invest in either some new parts or a new box.

I would also suggest tweaking for optimum performance and lower the amount of resources being used at any one time... take a look over at http://www.tweakxp.com for some useful tips and tweaks.
    _revelatory manifestation of a divine [digital] being.

I have found WinXp will run fine on a 500-800 Mghz system as long as it has over 256 megs of RAM. A friend from work brought in his Dell 1.8 Ghz system with 128 megs of RAM running XP because he said it was running so slow. I checked it out, put in 512 megs or RAM and he was set. He couldnt believe the performance increase.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have one machine running XP Home at using a 333MHz Celeron and 256MB ram. Fast enough for most simple tasks. Also have a similar machine running Win2k Pro. Also not too bad. 3Ghz is a lot more fun, though!!

the specs of your pc are adequate for running XP. I had the exact same issue when i installed XP pro. my keyboard wouldnt work after some boots, and i would have to reboot. when i installed xp i did it without a proper format of my hard drive, and installed it as an upgrade from win ME. For the life of me i couldnt figure out what in the world was going on.... so to make a long story short, format the hard drive from a boot up disk. you can do it with a win 98/me boot disk, even if XP is installed. i may have did this the hard way but what i did was format the disk back to FAT, and install a clean XP...let it boot from cd drive, it will quick format the drive to NTFS. that resolved my issue. it has been months and never once had it happen again.

i hope it fixes urs.

Ok.. I tried clean install windows xp on the box... but it doesn't work esp. during the copying of files started.. I even tried to installing the OS on other computer (it works fine, I even dual boot it) but when I transfer the HDD to my Pentium 550 only windows 98 works and when it comes to XP it doesn't work...