Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinXP help

Regal Making Handler
    netbreaker, when you install windows, any version. It detects what hard ware is in the box you are putting it on. So if you install on one box then take the HDD to another the drivers etc will not work as they should.
    You nead to try a full and clean install on the box you want to use it on. I would sugests you get a win 95/98 boot floppy format the HDD you want to use it on in the box you want it on.Although you will have formatted it at fat 32 you will get the opption to reformat to ntsf when you install xp.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    netbreaker, when you install windows, any version. It detects what hard ware is in the box you are putting it on. So if you install on one box then take the HDD to another the drivers etc will not work as they should.
    You nead to try a full and clean install on the box you want to use it on. I would sugests you get a win 95/98 boot floppy format the HDD you want to use it on in the box you want it on.Although you will have formatted it at fat 32 you will get the opption to reformat to ntsf when you install xp.

I already tried that, but I got problem when Windows XP starts copying files... it hangs-up!
    \"Knowledge is the beginning of something you don\'t know.\"

Regal Making Handler
    So it hangs during set up. Try removing your pci cards drives etc. Try install with just the hard drive and your graphics card. If it works add the rest 1 by 1 till you find the problem.

If it doesn't install with the bare bones it is probably a ram problem. So swap your memory. Look for a bios upgrade. There is a hole lot to check befor you give up and go back to to whatever.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

i googled this one ....... some say that perhaps your cdrom might be the reason its not installing..... and some suggest making some xp boot disks from microsoft and doing it that way. ...make sure the cd isnt smudged or scratched .... could be a hardware issue....

however i had this issue when trying to install win ME after a format. it would just freeze up at the same place each time. what i did differently this time is i used FDISK to delete the partitions, build them back & resized them .... format again making sure its FAT32 ..... booted from floppy with cd rom support, went to my cd ... e:/setup.exe .... and it worked ..... maybe that procedure got rid of some bugs and nasty files. i had tried everything else, it was the only option left that i didnt try.

try that with your xp cd and see what happens. maybe it will work, maybe you already tried that. i know it can be very annoying, i almost opened the treasure chest and got my hammer out :-)

here is the first reply i got when i searched google on this issue ...

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/65972.html

Ok a thought from extreem left field here..

Reset your CMOS.. When ever I have problems installing any version of O/S on a system I have a 60% chance of all going well after Reseting the BIOS-CMOS (this can become corrupted in some brands of MOBO due to Dirty MAins, Dirty PSU or a Virii ..don't go hunting for that now..)

Also, You have been having problems with this machine b4?.. only with WinXP? or all O/S..
    Follow some of the other advice.. remove ALL other cards and drives except HDD, CDROM and Video.. and attempt install..
    Have had problems with IDE CAbles.. daggy cuts on one of the ends, cut or crushed cable,,
    Overheating CPU, PSU (stuck fan), or Mother board Chips..
    You may even need to consider trying a different Video CArd.
    If You are using more than one stick of RAM.. remove all except one of them and attempt the install..(XPee will install with 64mb..s.l.o.w.l.y.)
    Cigarette Tar!
    Krap MOBO..Some brands of MOBO are plain crap.. or a time bomb..
    is your copy of XP legit? (sorry had to ask at this point)

If I have repeated someone elses comments.. Sorry .. I only browsed this thread..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Question

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    Reset your CMOS.. When ever I have problems installing any version of O/S on a system I have a 60% chance of all going well after Reseting the BIOS-CMOS (this can become corrupted in some brands of MOBO due to Dirty MAins, Dirty PSU or a Virii ..don't go hunting for that now..)

How would I reset my CMOS?...

Regal Making Handler
    I would guess your cd of xp is ok you normaly get notified of miss reads during the install if thats the problem. It does sound like a hardware problem. You could try installing Win 98 when that is up and running put the XP cd in your cdrom and let it do a system compatability test. This should let you no if any of your hardware is not up to working with XP. I no from experiance XP can be fussy with hardware.

I had a problem with a modem i had on a Toshiba desktop. Even with the correct driver it would not work with AOL. It would work with dialup networking but not AOL. A new pci modem card fixed the problem, aand as far as i now the pc has never crashed since.

Exclamation

I tried that too.. I even tried copying the installer itself into HDD, but same problem, when it comes to the part of "windows will now copy files needed... blah blah blah.." it hangs-up on 5 or 8 percent. Right now, I had only 2 options left I think... remove all the stuff exept video card, HDD and CD-ROM and start the installation again.. or reset the CMOS (but I don't know how to reset the CMOS)

Mission Accomplished!

Hey guys, thanks for your help! I already fixed my PC!!! I tried removing the the PCI cards and other stuff except the video card, HDD and CD-ROM and it works fine.. and after the installation process, I returned the stuff back again and... no problems!!!

Thanks again!!!

try going to a c:\ prompt & typing "format C"

when this is finished, install Linux.....problem(s) solved