Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay High School???

Exclamation Gay High School???

Woah, I heard about this a few days ago and I'm surprised no one has posted anything about it. Here it is... I'm surprised as you are...

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Da...ool030728.html

W0W, does this sound unconstitutional or what??? Don't get my meaning? Well, first off this school segragates gay people from straight people, in an equal area. This sounds like it could be closely tied into the Jim Crow Laws, which were repealed because it divided people into different groups. Is this not doing the exact same thing? This moronic idea is only enforceing the fact that gays are different from straight people. Do you understand the serious repercussions that this is going to have on our society.

I thought the whole point of respect and tolerance was to make those with a different sexual preferance feel more accepted into society?

I though that diversity was to be celebrated, not separated?

I thought that if we all accepted eachother then we could all get along in a uniform and mainstream society?

I thought wrong according to this...

I can't believe America has gotten to the point where the only solution to the problem of a few homophobic morons is to separtate themselves from society as a whole...

* Making them more vunerable.
    * Creating more resentment.
    * Restricting any hope of complete tolerance.

Why are they doing this!!! Can you imagine if a straight guy wanted to go to this school for some reason? They wouldn't let them in because he has a different sexual preferance. It's as if some of the gay community's response to the problem of homophobia is that of straightaphobia. The very thing that they are trying to prevent they are indirectly enforcing through this act and it WILL only make things worse.

They argue that this is a place for gay people to go to that are afraid to go to a regular public school. BULL5H17!!! Facing adversity is one of the biggest lessons that life can teach you, if the school is full of homophobes, get some support and change the way these people are! If you run away from problems in your life, it's safe to say that you will not succeed in it. Without diversity in an area, and without the celebration of it, you will have the same type of people keeping the same type of attitude towards people that are different.

Is this America's response to a problem like this??? Has society given up on trying to work together as a union??? If so...

then I'm afraid the bullies and homophobes have won.

Yea you heard it right, if gays are going to separate themselves from society in this way. Then all the bullies that didn't want them in thier school have won, they won. It's so sad.

You CANNOT run away from your problems! Things will just get worse!

Also, what's to become of these students when they get out of high-school??? Will there be a gay college??? A gay only employment???

Can anyone else say unconstitutional, immoral, and a horrible let down to those who thought there was hope. Not to mention a big slap in the face to those who thought that they were making a difference by reaching out to others and trying to spread tolerance and diversity...

This is a disgrace, this... I swear, will mark the beginning of a huge cultural civil-war if it already Isn't underway...

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

"Is there a gay math?"

that says it all right there...

this is the most rediculous thing i've ever heard (about school)...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Banned
    theres much going on about gay guys lately ..heres a poll result i quoted from AOL ...

Do you consider being gay a sin?

51% Yes
    49% No
    Total votes: 323,037

How would you define marriage?

63% A union between a man and a woman
    37% A union between any two people

Total votes: 328,073
    but segregating gay people ...this goes too far ....

here are some quotes from President Bush ...and others

"I believe in the sanctity of marriage. I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or the other."
    "We are very disappointed that the president is trying to further codify discrimination into law."

-- Winnie Stachelberg
    Political director of the
    Human Rights Campaign
    "There is a real movement for same-sex marriage... if the president doesn't intervene and... doesn't take leadership in this area, we could lose marriage in this country the way we know it."
    -- Franklin Graham
    President of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Campaign
    "I am mindful that we're all sinners, and I caution those who may try to take the speck out of the neighbor's eye when they got a log in their own."

-- President Bush
    "While we respect President Bush's religious views, it is unbecoming of the president of the United States to characterize same-sex couples as 'sinners."
    -- Matt Foreman
    Executive Director of the
    National Gay and Lesbian Task
    opinions ?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I saw this article about the school and have mixed feelings. My daughter suffered harassment, bullying in middle school that the administrators were unable to do anything about. ( as far as I know she is heterosexual).

When you're dealing with school age kids, it's not just a couple of homophobic *******s you have to worry about. Most kids that age won't stand up against oppression even if it's from a minority element. So a couple of bad kids can make it miserable for a lot of kids.

Looking at the suicide rates for teenage homosexuals, maybe isolating them until they can face the "slings and arrows" might be better. I don't know.

Attendance at the school is not mandatory, so a parent and student could choose to attend a "heterosexual" school.

I have a child who is autistic, under the Individuals with Disablilities Education Act, the school district tries to achieve the least, restrictive environment. In other words, inclusion rather than separation. I'm not implying that homosexuality is a disability but I would think that inclusion and cracking down on the "bullies" would be a better option.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Re: Gay High School???

Originally posted here by THE RADICAL

I though that diversity was to be celebrated, not separated?

I thought that if we all accepted eachother then we could all get along in a uniform and mainstream society?

I thought wrong according to this...

Hypocrisy. The one word which I think describes most social systems the best [and this is not pointed at someone, everybody - at least the 3 Governments I had to deal with closely in my lifetime - has flaws and issues that can be summed up under this term]

Although I find your reply a bit self-contradictory [if we celebrate diversity we could not have a uniform society... maybe you meant one that works uniformly, as in, without 'stops' due to prejudice and the likes] I stand by your point whole-heartedly. While I do not wish to see homosexuality being in any way stimulated [until further proof that it is a gene responsible for it, I remain skeptical and believe it can be psychologically-induced], I cannot believe people can be so close-minded as to differentiate people based on things which - from an inter-personal point of view - do not matter in the first place. What happens in the bedroom should stay there. Someone is not crazier, likelier to commit crimes or less-intelligent because one chooses same sex partners.

And with religious-fanatics like mr. Bush [who, by any means, has not ever proved he is nothing but a blind bible-crazed individual], it is unlikely things will change for the better soon.

cheers!

What is America up to ??????
    DE SCORPION KING

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by DE SCORPION
    What is America up to ??????
    We're evidently headed to hell in a handbasket.....jump on in and enjoy the ride....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I will go to hell anyday rather than follow Bush into his heaven

"We are very disappointed that the president is trying to further codify discrimination into law."
    -- Winnie Stachelberg
    Political director of the
    Human Rights Campaign

Codify discrimination into law, hmmm I tend to disagree. Maybe it's because I am more pro-traditional values and an independent conservative but I firmly believe that someone has to draw the line somewhere on this issue. If two people of the same sex want to be together that's fine with me but if the term marrage is twisted like this then what's to say that a guy can't marry his pet dog? or his sister? cousin? etc... I think that a firm line has to be drawn here or else we'll have such loose interpretation of laws that... we just won't have them.

It's funny how on one side of the spectrum we have some of the gay community trying to segragate themselves by putting up their own schools and then on another side we have some of the gay community trying to mainstream itself into society by saying they have the right to marrage etc... etc... Does anybody else see the irony in this?

I dunno, someone please prove me wrong, please prove to me that our country is getting along just fine and I'm the only one with problems here, above all we just need unity and to stand as one.
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Radical,

Every time I think of the issue with the school I have a different opinion. I'm not going to try to balance the gay marriage issue with the school.

In the case of the school you're dealing with kids. At the high school level all kids are vulnerable to harassment, bullying, isolation. I couldn't imagine growing up gay and feeling the extra crap that they'd get from their immature classmates. I don't think the school is a product of the gay community as it is a product of parents with gay children.

I've got two high school kids who have never fit into the cliques. A particularly evil clique went after my daughter last year. I had to turn lawyers loose on the school district to get the principal to enforce discipline.

I live in a state that has "civil unions", gay marriage. We haven't seen any rampant debauchery, degradation etc etc. Even the insurance companies came around. I don't know why all the fuss.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot