The universe is a hologram

Thread: The universe is a hologram

The universe is a hologram

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?col...AE80A84189EEDF

Very interesting if weird article in this months scientific America. The basic premise is that while the universe is basicly made up of matter and energy (which are at some level the same thing) they are just background stuff and what maters is the information contained. Now taking that view most of our natural laws can be described the same if we are in 3/4 dimensional space or 2d space with the illusion of a third dimension similar to a hologram.
    Hard to wrap ones head around but most theoretical physics is, this one has some promise though.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

procol harum

let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.

He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'

And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'
    http://www.progscape.com/~waves/tfk/translyrinheld.htm
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Interesting, pont (my wife had the same reaction, bascily so what if it is), but this has some interesting implacations.

WE know every bit of matter has information with it (or eneergy they are the same thing.) now if everything in the universe has a hight and a width but just an illusion of depth (pick whatever two dimensions you want) made from the information stored in matter this leads to very interesting travel technologies. Just imagin that in one spacifict dimension (say lateraly) we could travel instantanioulsy as far as we wanted...this should be possable if this theory is correct (way to early to tell).

I read that same article on SciAm, its very interesting, ofcourse the word hologram was just being uses as a metaphore LOL. I myself do not believe that we live on a 2d plane that we see as 3d. I do believe that we live in 4D Length Height Width and our favorite construct, Time
    [gloworange]I only see farther, well because I am smarter[/gloworange]

yea... i read that at wal-mart in the magainze... blew my mind, but then again... a lot of stuff in the mag does, lol

I've always felt that we live in a one dimensional world that our mind filters similarly to a prism. A prism breaks light up so that we can see each color. What if our mind takes in all the dimensions at once and breaks them up so that we can percieve them individually. This would all happen on a subconscious level of course.
    -NeuTron

That is basicly how vision works NeuTron, so your idea is right in at least some level (we see every thing 2d then the brain gives us the illuesion of depth). We also see in digital (basicly) and our brain fills in the holes. So nothing we see is reality just a filitered mockup of reality that our brain puts together (As a dyslexsic I am thinking that a disconnect in the reality interpertaion is what is caused by the desiese, I see letters in one order when they are in another, or I see letters when there are none.)

I agree with everything that you just said( That is exactly what my signature means) but it doesn't disprove my previous statement.
    -NeuTron

I agree in fact it strengthins it, unfortunitly our perception of reality will allways taint our view of reality (now if just gave us some ability to manipulate it) If reality is truely one or two dimensional, and we could discover how this works inspite of our perceptions the implacations (I am thinking of travel and comunications but there are others) would be imense.

.. i love stuff like this that really blows your mind... it's utterly fascinating!