Can you trust partition magic !?

Thread: Can you trust partition magic !?

Banned

Exclamation Can you trust partition magic !?

Hail, how are you gentlemen ?

I need a fast replay hehe, its a simple question. I have a 60 gb disk wich os 100% used with one 60 gb partition... it has 10 free gb's, can i WITH NO PROBLEMS use partition magic to make a 10gb partition with no problems ?
    Thanks

Farwell

I've never had any problems with it. However I've always made sure to use the old DOS based versions.. I never liked the Windows crap they put out (mind you my roommate swears by it). Also I'd make sure you defrag before doing it.. make everything purdy first hah
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

er0k
    i personally trust pm7.0 which works great for me.. it always seems to malfunction though whenever i run it w/o a proper key..

One thing though I would make backs up of anything on the Hd that you don't want to lose. you never know when something can go wrong

er0k
    yeah just run pm's emergency recovery utility.. itll create 2 rescue disks for you.. its nice

well i recently had to install slackware on my "made for windows" notebook. used partition magic 7.0 and it worked liked a doll. created a linux partition with it and put the slack on it. Dont know about earlier versions though. stick with 7.0 IMHO.
    Da Monk
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

yeah.. like folks said.. should be no problem..

BUT.. don't expect to make a new partition with ALL of that 10 gig of free space.

you'll still need some swap space.. I'd shoot for a 6 or 7 gig partition..

and I think it's time for you to either buy another hard drive or move some stuff to cd.

Hmm I did have some rather nasty encounters with Partition Magic.. like the time I split my dad's HDD to install lin on it.. and, as I was trying to get back the hard in one piece [partition ] it dumped an error and <expletitive here> the file allocation tables.. bye-bye information!

So back-up, defrag, enjoy!

P.S. The whole of the deal had a good tunr-out. I took the drive and I'm using RedHat on it now :P
    /\\

Banned
    I have not used Partition Magic bye itself I used System Commander by the same people it is a gift from god the only problem is that every blue moon I get a small problem but I like it alot.

I suggest that you back up everything. Or you just by a new Hard Drive what are they costing these days. Someone help me out how much does a new 60gb hdd cost.

Whizkid2300

My advice is "don't do it!!!"

You have a 60 Gig drive with 10 Gig free.................that's only 17%, which is close to the margin for being able to run an effective defrag.

I would NOT recommend creating a partition that is 100% full!

I think that you need to do some serious "housekeeping", delete unwanted stuff, archive to CD etc, or get yourself a new drive.

Clear out your temporary directory, the .chk files from scandisk, the Dr. Watson logfile and any dump files. I also get rid of "findfast" and the music files, screensavers, themes etc.

Hope this helps.