View Poll Results: How did you find this post?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very useful

3 21.43%
  • Useful

3 21.43%
  • OK

4 28.57%
  • Not very useful

0 0%
  • Waste of time

4 28.57%

Thread: Hardware forum

Old Fart

Hardware forum

First of all I want to thank Jupiter Media for giving us a hardware forum. It was a much needed addition to the AO community and thus far has been a great benefit to some of the members. However, a recent post by er0k has highlighted what I consider to be its one shortfall...it does not appear on the main page and therefore only receives the attention of the members who MAKE IT A POINT to visit that particular forum...thus anyone who posts a question there is potentially deprived of the aid they seek due to lack of exposure. IMHO posts to this forum deserve to be viewable on the main page. So I am asking the members of the community to either vote in the poll above or speak out within this thread and voice support or opposition to this idea. I know that hardware isn't a "security" topic in the pure sense of the word, but it is still worthy of more attention than it has garnered thus far.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

er0k
    yerp... i think everything except gcc should be on the main page still. Especially hardware, and book reviews. (Im not sure if book reviews still appears on the main page or not, but i doubt it.)

Nice post al.

I voted yes but honestly one doesn't need to surf the forum from the main page.

I wrote in this thread about using the "the View More Active Topics" link at the bottom of the main page.

I'll quote it..

if you really want to see what's what and where from the
    last visit you made here.. you should use the View More Active Topics link at the bottom of the main page.
    it's the best feature you'll find at just about any type of forum..
    then simply refreshing (or back button, then refresh) will show the latest at any given time. plus it lets you see what's being posted everywhere including the newsgroups..

I am for the idea of putting Hardware on the front page.everyone who owns a computer has hardware of some sort and it would be easier for people new to the site to find it and post questions and answers Etc

An hour or more ago I voted "no" thinking "why don't people just check out the *all* the forums like I do?".....then I realized I don't always check out all the forums....then I finally came to the conclusion that I'd love to see every single post from any forum on the front page and just extend it (the main page) to hold like 30-40 of the most recent threads. I guess the people that decide what should and shouldn't be on the front page have put a lot of thought into it and there's probably tons of reasons for why they don't do it that way (namely, they only want the most important stuff on the front page). //thinkz some more.....well now you have my thoughts on it.

-keezel

*edit*
    Left out the word "forum" in a sentence...oops

Thanks for the suggestion--the Hardware forum threads will now show up on the main page!
    Thanks again,
    intmon