Hackers or Scriptkiddies?

Thread: Hackers or Scriptkiddies?

Hackers or Scriptkiddies?

Would you guys say that anyone who does'nt write and compile their own exploits is a scriptkiddie?

If this were so, then would'nt that mean that an extremely large number of those who claim to be hackers are infact scriptkiddies?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

edit:
    added the r in your

No, but you should be capable of writing your own, a kiddie is not capable of writing exploits.
    Kiddies use deface tools etc. and they mostly don't know much about computers, just a little bit more then the ordinary pc user (in my class there are 2 people that I'm aware of who are even worse then kiddies; don't ask them what an exploit is cuz they won't have a clue).
    Kiddies are mostly interested in crashing computers, they don't want to learn how all that stuff works, they might want to impress their friends with stupid stuff.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Banned
    You know what I am not usually the one to get into these discussions but I think that I will say something today. Ok tecnically paulie that is not so. Because that means by your definition that each and every person in here is a Script. Don't take the Word Script Kiddie as being so literal it is a word made up to displace want to be hackers. What is usually considered a Scripy is someone that has no idea what is going on and is basicly over there heads, but at the same time being destructive. Trust me, it you are taking this to be so literal you will always come out wrong. This goes into the same area as Hacker you will hear some people say that they are not Hackers but they know more about computers then most of us in here. Guess what if you are going to go back to the origional definition of the word Hacker it has nothing to do with breaking into someone's computer it is sheerly about knowledge, you are a hacker when you know. **** loads of stuff. You are a Hacker wheather you want to or not. So don't take anything so literal Paulie it is all what you make of it. So you know this has been discussed before plentyof times. Research your posts.

Whizkid2300

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Hackers or Scriptkiddies?

Originally posted here by paulie walnuts
    Would you guys say that anyone who does'nt write and compile their own exploits is a scriptkiddie?

If this were so, then would'nt that mean that an extremely large number of those who claim to be hackers are infact scriptkiddies?

edit:
    added the r in your
    Link to AO Hacker Jargon files, http://www.antionline.com/jargon/
    where you will find definitions of most of the words or topics you are interested in. I'm sure if you do a general search on Google you will find numerous examples of the same word or topic, but giving different interpretations, depending on who's written it and from what viwpoint
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Re: Hackers or Scriptkiddies?

Originally posted here by paulie walnuts

edit:
    added the r in your
    Yes, anyone who simply downloads a piece of software and tries to exploit a weakness in a system is by definition a script kiddie.

Personally, i have much more admiration for those who actually do the research, decompile etc etc to find out the exploit.

Script kiddies are nothing more than taggers who can't spell and generally run around running Windows thinking that they're l33t because they have found some out of date piece of software like WinNuke.

Man,

Why does everyone seem to think if you download source code for exploits, you are a script kiddie. You are way off. I download source code for exploits, to test on systems, and to examine, as many other people on here do. Does that make us script kiddies? No. I know many network admins that download source code to compile and use to verify that their systems are properly patched/protected. Does this make them script kiddies? No. It means they don't have time to write their own exploits. el-half had the most accurate description. As far as your description CooCooCaChooNZ, you couldn't be further from the truth. Crackers are more often that not the taggers, although occasionally Script Kiddies do it. Windows happens to be a great OS, you are probably running it. So why dump on it. The OS that someone is running has nothing to do with being a script kiddie. If you wanna go based on that, I know several script kiddies who run Linux because they heard it was the hackers os. It's all BS... I can do as much with my WinXP install as people do with their *nix installs. As far as the outdated software. Most script kiddies are rather up-to-date. They tend to go for the 0day stuff, it does more damage. The most basic definition of a script kiddie is 'One who downloads other peoples exploits with a malicious intent."
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Well said HT, that pretty much cleared it up. I just sorta got tired of always hearing people referring to anyone who does'nt write up everything themselves as a scriptkiddie, and thus i posed my question in the manner i did. Now i feel better.

I mean come'on, are we supposed to write up our very own portscanners too? Not many people can do this.

`pw