wanna be a system administrator???

Thread: wanna be a system administrator???

wanna be a system administrator???

Hello everyone
    The question i am going to ask would be residing into most of the newbies mind who wants to be a system administrator. Well keeping it simple, I want to be a System Administrator. I have been reading alots of stuff regarding security, exploits, patches etc. I need a suggestion. What should i start with?? I have already installed RH Linux 8. Reading alots of stuff regarding Linux.Shell scripting etc. Do I need to know about routers and switches. Should i also be experimenting with Sun Solaris, Novell Netware and other Unix Distributions. Plus the biggest problem is I dont have a physical network at my place to experiment with. Although I am planning to have one with just 2 computers. Secondly, I need to know what platform should i choose? Windows or Unics(*nix)...Who are those who administer and configure web servers, mail server. I like this system administration field, because its more dynamic and challanging and moreover i have a deep intrest in security, Please advice me whta should i start with.and what others field do i need to be stronger in for being a really really great and strong system administartor. One last point is how reputed and important system adminitrator job both in terms of salary and time?I know its a 24/7 job..thats why its so dynamic. I know my this message sounds confusing but thats what actually I am at the moment. Anyone who can clear my these confusions would do a great job..ppl do reply this thread...
    Thank you
    Ommy...

Best thing to do is start learning. Go to your local library, and read as many books as you can find on networking, protocols (especially TCP/IP), different server OS's, etc (you get the point, more is better). Try and make friends with a few administrators, or people who work in that sector (even your old school network administrator will do, infact they can be quite handy if you want a few old PC's on the cheap, good for setting up a computer lab).

Also try and experiment as much as you can. A two PC network is a good start, but try and build it up to a few more, even if they're only old battered P166's. If you can lay your hands on any other OS's than Linux or Windows, then by all means. Try and concentrate on XP in the Windows branch, as this seems to be the way things are going.

You should also get a good knowledge of network hardware. Most good networking books should cover the basics of this (such as what a router is and what it does, etc), but won't go into specific brands, for this have a look on google.

These are a few of the things that I have found useful, but I'm still learning, so I can't give you a 'inside' look into the job.
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

Banned
    Ok where do I begin first you need to choose a steady area. Nobody know everything it is impossible. As for what OS to be your man OS I will say that if you choose Windows you will probably have a better chance of getting a job most companies right now are looking for Windows guys. Now I will also say as for what to learn. I would say it never hurts to learn everything you can. Learn at least two languages, I really dislike the admin of my office dude is an idiot. He doesn't know much, don't become an admin adverse to learning new things.

If you are going to use Linux you should definately learn to Script. You could learn Unix the good side is that when you go there from Linux you will be already know a bit of unix because Linux is based on unix. I will say that if your going to be a Windows learn how to change your registry. You have to do that often. I will also say that you should probably learn a lot about Networking.

Whizkid2300

Any other questions post them.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: wanna be a system administrator???

Originally posted here by ommy
    Hello everyone
    The question i am going to ask would be residing into most of the newbies mind who wants to be a system administrator. Well keeping it simple, I want to be a System Administrator. I have been reading alots of stuff regarding security, exploits, patches etc. I need a suggestion. What should i start with?? I have already installed RH Linux 8. Reading alots of stuff regarding Linux.Shell scripting etc. Do I need to know about routers and switches. Should i also be experimenting with Sun Solaris, Novell Netware and other Unix Distributions. Plus the biggest problem is I dont have a physical network at my place to experiment with. Although I am planning to have one with just 2 computers. Secondly, I need to know what platform should i choose? Windows or Unics(*nix)...Who are those who administer and configure web servers, mail server. I like this system administration field, because its more dynamic and challanging and moreover i have a deep intrest in security, Please advice me whta should i start with.and what others field do i need to be stronger in for being a really really great and strong system administartor. One last point is how reputed and important system adminitrator job both in terms of salary and time?I know its a 24/7 job..thats why its so dynamic. I know my this message sounds confusing but thats what actually I am at the moment. Anyone who can clear my these confusions would do a great job..ppl do reply this thread...
    Thank you
    Ommy...
    Hi Ommy, I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions from experienced System Admins. This is not my area of expertise, but I would say that reading lots of books, although very helpful will not get you a job as a systems admim. I know that qualifications may not always be beneficial, and that experience counts for a lot , but that experience has to be gained in the real world, on commercial systems. At our university, system administration courses are run covering many operating systems , as part of Bsc degrees, and that is only the beginninig. Even with a degree , there is no guarantee of employment, and if one is lucky to get in on the ground floor , it could be on a helpdesk. I do not know how your educational system, or employment prospects are in Pakistan, but as a first step I would suggest college or university, if you are not already there. In addition there are also included in the various computing degrees, modules on , e.g LAN design, Server technologies, Web Server Technologies, Network Operating Systems, etc
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Hey Hey,

I'm currently taking a program called Computer Systems Technology, it's goal is to provide you with everything you'll need to be a Systems Administrator. It includes Windows and *nix. Networking, programming, Databases, security and everything else. Check out your local college and see if they have anything, that'd be your best start.

If not you'll want to do certifications. You don't have to limit yourself to one OS.. Get your RHCE and your MCSE, and if you arent' too upset with SCO get your CUSA and even your CNA (Novell). Networking is a must... look into your Network+ or your CCNA, even your CCNP. Get your A+ whenever you have time, just to say hey look i do know my hardware. Read everything you can and listen to what everyone on here has to say.

Many people will disagree on the certs, it's proly a 50/50 split, but even if you don't get the cert or it expires, at least you have the knowledge.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

one suggestion. The OSI Model.... Learn it, know it, live it.

I made a post with a suggestion and what to follow roughly to learn about computers. Anyway, just another guide to follow or toss away.
    here is the link

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
    Just click on my profile to e-mail, or instant message me.

Hey da'dodo, whizkid2300,jm459,HTRegz, The3ntropy Thank you every one for helping me out. To tell you more about myself so that you could suggest me in a better way. I am doing a degree of I.T, studied *nix as a subject, done CCNA, programming in c and java(bbut not that kernel programming). So I am not an absolute dummy.

Well Thanx for suggestions. Ma local college offer some certifications but not RHCE , CNA, CUSA. Well what do u guys say should i stick with some particular OS or what?? Secondly nobody answered the other part o f my post regarding the repute and salary of a system administrator?? I ve heard you can really earn good bucks out of it..is it true????
    is it one of the highly paid jobs in computing???and one more thing i would like to ask is that is system administrator responsible for configuring routers as well...
    Thank you every one .. once again
    plz reply back
    Ommy

I dunno about where you are, but as far as Canadian wages check out http://tyler.reguly.net/wages.doc
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Taking the Cisco courses might be a good idea, if you have the opportunity. Also used computers stores sometimes have cheap computer books, you might find some networking stuff there. The old computer store that I used to work at had a large network that I played around with, I learned a few things that way. So if you have any friends in that area......

Good Luck
    No place like 127.0.0.1