Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange probelm again

Already done that. I even plugged the floppy back in the wrong again just for kicks.

I just seem to be having this streak of bad computer parts. I have 3 bad m/b's. All of them are working fine now since I have the new ones, except for this one that I'm sending back.

Oh well, I guess thats life.
    =

I had a similar problem the other day - have you tried using a different power supply? I had a PC the other day that would power on (well, the power lights would come on, but it wouldn't POST, it would just sit there as in your case). I hooked another power supply to it and all was well - you might want to give that a try before you send it back...
    - Maverick

Here's my best guess :

-it's not your RAM because the mobo would give three beeps at start-up
    -it's not video because it sounds to me like your HD isn't being read
    - It most certainly could be that you have a bad floppy/connector/connection.
    - All computer will not POST without a floppy connection present.

I would try every possible 'combo' with your floppy before sending it back. Iv'e seen this before.

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

it could be overheating, i had a similar problem with p4&asus, had to declock my processor untill i got a new fan

You may also want to try installing each piece, one at a time into another working machine. That way, if you find one component (RAM, HD, etc) that doesn't fly in another working machine, you may have a clue as to what the culprit of the problem is.
    - Maverick

I'll give that a shot then before I send it back.

All computer will not POST without a floppy connection present.
    they will post.

I'll let you guys know if it worked or not later. Gotta do some other stuff first

Thanks for your help.
    =

guess I'm too high...

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

quote]All computer will not POST without a floppy connection present. [/quote]
    geez I Hope not.. or 2 of my machines won't boot..

I take it that no POST to mean that there is no Video.. the Video Card is not Booting and therefor nill zilch other activity.

When ever a problem like this arises.. and it seem most of the steps have been advised or taken. These are the steps..

1/ Undo your last step..
    2/ Check the MotherBoard mounting.. suprising the number of times a short has developed between the MoBo and Case. and just the act of moving a cable can trigger a problem..
    3/ Remove all extra Hardware, leave the Vid card, and RAM CPU (oh and PSU) andattempt restart
    3b/ this is where you start swapping RAM, Video CArd and suspecting CPU or MoBo..

Why did I suspect the CPU... the number of times a machine has come in with a cooked CPU because of a problem mounting the Heatsink,, wil suprise.. ... main probs I have had is with the AMD's but had enough Intels..
    Also.. Some RAM Probs WILL prevent the MOBO from Booting to POST.

It looks like a Mobo.. but certainly check the MoBo mounting for problems (I knbow you have taken all apart and started again..but)

Hope you get things going..

Cheers..

BTW:- Hmm yes and it is interesting to see Hardware on the Home page..Good
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Undid my last step

Checked my motherboard mounting even took it out and check underneath.

I remove all uneccessary stuff.

And have swapped parts.

When I say no post I mean nothing, no beeps, no video just nothing.

So I guess I send it back.

I found a different company I think I will use. For an extra $15 they will put the whole thing together for you, and all you have to do is put the OS on. I like it this way because it something is bad then they will replace it before they ship it. All of these bad parts I've been getting is keeping me from getting these computers built for these people.

Thanks for your help again.
    =

Old Fart
    NOT AN ACCUSATION!!!

Lots of people don't realize just how dangerous static discharge can be. I have seen plenty of examples of ruined MBs because someone didn't ground themselves before handling electronic components. To be honest, this sounds like a case of unwanted static discharge to me. If you do not have a wrist strap, ALWAYS touch the power supply enclosure before you touch anything else in the case. If I don't have a wrist strap available (it happens sometimes) I always make a concious effort to position my arm in a manner that keeps it in constant contact with the PS enclosure or case frame when I'm working inside of a case. Better safe than sorry!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...