Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange probelm again

Strange probelm again

Ok, I'm helpless I don't even need to be building computers. Heres my problem

I'm building a P4 2.8 on as ASUS P4P800 mobo
    PC 3200 ram
    Nvidia MX 440 64mb card
    dvd rom
    cd-rw
    40GB hd
    XP home

I get everything put together turn on the computer start to install windows when i realize I put the floppy cable in backwards. So when the install process needs to reboot I turn off the computer switch the floppy cable around and turn it back on but do not recieve any video. I've reseated the video card, checked my video cable, turned my floppy cable back around but still get nothing. Right now I have the comptuer put away. I'm gonna let it sit for while with no power then try it again in the morning.

Anyone know what happened?
    =

It could be something is wrong with your video card or monitor. I know it was just working but you could have accidentally done something when you switched the cable.
    also
    can you hear it go through the normal boot process or does it just sit.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

I switched out with a different video card but it still doesn't work. I've also tried different monitors but it still doesn't work.

I'm kinda worried now, becuase I don't hear it go through the post anymore. So its just sitting.

Any more ideas?
    =

Recheck your motherboard power cables.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Use the motherboard jumper to reset the BIOS

Oh, and make sure the CPU fan is plugged in cause lots of modern motherboards wont power up without the fan.

IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

I double checked all of my power connectors, and IDE cables. I cleared the CMOS via the M/B jumpers, and battery. All of the fans are plugged in and turning but it just sits there.

However it still does not work. I'm about ready to shoot this computer.
    I just can't get it to beep, post, anything.
    =

check your RAM, make sure its in place, or try moving it to a different slot.
    Nothing sounds more like freedom than the thunderous roll of a Tomahawk.

cheyenne1212 that's a troublesome one. To me it sounds like something went bad on the motherboard when you switched the cable. What you could do is try the video card in another pc and see if that works.

Am leaning on the side that it could be a bad connection to the board or something went wrong with the board.

I hope that helps.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Well it looks like my worse fears are confirmed.

I'm sending the M/B back. I'v tried everything I know. I've used the Video Card from a good computer, messed with the ram, hell I even tore the whole computer down the put it back together, but it just won't post. So back to the company it goes.

Thanks for your help guys.

btw: when did the hardware forum start appearing on the main page. Must of done this when I was in cali.
    =

unplug your floppy, and then try again.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.