Thread: Security and port 445

Question Security and port 445

Hello all: After reviewing the posting here on securing my computer (win2000 via DSL) and doing the following I have a few Q's...
    This is what I have done so far:
    1. Installed Zone Alarm (freebie) and set as tight as possible.
    2. Norton AV. Constantly updated.
    3. All windows updates installed, as of a few days ago. LOL....
    4. Netbios disabled.
    5. Adaware run periodically.
    6. Spybot search and destroy runs periodically.
    7. I leave Ethereal looking (sniffing) at my NIC to the web. (While I'm away, the comp is up 24/7 do to running SETI and Folding@home. Otherwise it's off.)

As you can see I've disabled Netbios, now here's my question: I've obtained a set of instructions for securing/disabling port 445
    Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    Locate the following key in the registry: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
    In the right-hand side of the window find an option called TransportBindName.
    Double click that value, and then delete the default value, thus giving it a blank value.
    Close the registry editor.
    Reboot your computer.
    After rebooting open a command prompt and in it type
    netstat -an
    See that your computer no longer listens to port 445.

Being somewhat of a newbie, how will this effect my computer? Is there any other things I can do to secure my box? Thanks in advance. Yours Learnin...
    \"I\'ve entered the rabbit hole and I\'m looking how deep it is.\"

Banned
    In Windows XP & I beleave win2k also, Microsoft added the possibility to run Server Message Block (SMB) directly over TCP/IP, without the extra layer of NetBT and for that they use a TCP port# 445. I've only had problems with some P2P software and problems with chating to a couple of buddies of mine with vid/microphones over the WWW but other than that there really wasn't very many problems or anything like that.

Learnin, Have you taken a look at plug & play yet on comps like XP?

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the reply: I've never messed around within regedit. If I follow the instructions and dislike the results can I reedit and repair what I did?
    Nope, I never looked at the security concerns via Plug and Play? I have heard the term plug and prey, though. Ideas? Links? Thanks again. Learnin...
    \"I\'ve entered the rabbit hole and I\'m looking how deep it is.\"

Banned
    Why do you feel the need to use regedit then fool around with the registry of these things when most of this stuff (such as netbois & plug and play) you can just disable like this: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_netbios_in_w2kxp.htm