Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: freeBSD

Re: freeBSD

Originally posted here by skilar

EDIT: One of the errors was that startx and/or KDE didn't have write access. But I was logged in as root. So I don't know why.

Can you do this as root:
    Code:
    # cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    And paste it here..we will see the problem is..
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Yes I can.....

Ok, since I'm not using the freebsd computer for the internet right now, I can't put all of it here, but I'll start where I think the error begins:

(II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "640x350" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "640x400" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "720x400" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "640x480" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "1024x768" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "512x384" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "1152x864" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "576x432" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "1280x960" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "1280x960" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "1280x1024" (insufficient memory for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "640x512" (insufficient memory for mode)

and it lists some more resolutions and says the same thing up til here:

(II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "640x480" (no mode of this name)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "416x312" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "400x300" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "400x300" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "320x240" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "320x240" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "360x200" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "320x200" (no clock available for mode)
    (II) VGA(0) : Not using default mode "320x175" (no clock available for mode)
    (EE) VGA(0) : Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 1)
    (II) UnloadModlue: "vga"
    (II) UnloadModlue: "vgahw"
    (II) Unloading: "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a"
    (II) UnloadModlue: "int10"
    (II) Unloading: "/urs/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a"
    (EE) Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Just Another Geek
    Looks like you didn't setup your graphicscard correctly.
    What type of graphicscard is it?

Did you also try to run (as root) xf86config?
    This will ask you a couple of simple questions and create a decent XF86Config file for you.

When asked look at the card database and select the proper graphicscard.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

(II) UnloadModlue: "vga"
    (II) UnloadModlue: "vgahw"
    (II) Unloading: "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a"
    (II) UnloadModlue: "int10"
    (II) Unloading: "/urs/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a"
    (EE) Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    [/B]
    I agree with SirDice, You havent't got it right when you set up your X configuration.
    Try "x86config" command and as video card try use "VGA generic(or try Vesa generic)" if FreeBSD 5.1 you will see it on option number 0/1

Ok, I fiddled with the settings and I got KDE to work. There's just one more problem. When I start KDE, I get this error:

Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

So I'm not sure what to do about that. But everything else seems to be working fine. Now to go exploring. . .

You need to either rebuild your kernel with option pcm or load the driver as a kernel module. freebsd comes with no sound by default. If you look in the section on sound in the hand book it will give good instructions. man kldload will give you info on loading modules.The handbook is the best reference though. Good to hear you got it up and runnin !
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Ok, thanks!!! Anyone know any good programs for UNIX??? Just in general.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html there are 9000 to choose from all you have to do is
    cd /usr/ports/
    then cd into the section and port you want and as root type make install clean and it fetchs the source and any dependancies and compiles and installs or you can go through the ports list and , find what you want and as root type pkg_add -r whatyouwant and it will fetch the binary and install it ,its like friggin magic. I like juk for mp3s, I use mplayer for videos, mldonkey is a kick ass p2p program that lets you use any network you want (edonkey,slsk,fastrack,open napster,bittorrent,gnuttella) , if you have a nvidia graphics card there is a port to install it in the x11 section of ports, heretic is a fun game, webfonts(in the x11-fonts section) will give you MUCH better fonts than the default ones ,mutt is good for mail , bitchx is agood irc client,sudo is handy to use, You should get portupgrade and cvsup , with them you can have all the latest and greatest versions of every program you have very easily. if you installed the full kde package you will already have lots an lotsa stufff.
    If you can't find something try whereis ?????? or locate ??????? or find ???????
    Once you are done playing i would start reading the handbook start to finish and then start to finish again and at the freebsd.org site there is quite a bit of stuff. Singing up for the mailing list is a good idea too.If you installed the docs you can put this into konquerer file:/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.htm and you will have the hand book , voila
    have fun
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Apparently, I did not install the mtools package, because when I try to open a floppy:

ensure that the mtools package is installed correctly on your system.

How do I install this?

And KDE does not seem to be recognizing my network card. It works, because I was using it to connect and download some things when I was still on windows on that machine. Don't know what's wrong there.

EDIT: Figured out that I didn't configure the networking thing. So I configured it. So the internet's workin' now (I've been posting from a different computer).

Apparently, I did not install the mtools package, because when I try to open a floppy:

ensure that the mtools package is installed correctly on your system.

How do I install this?

And KDE does not seem to be recognizing my network card. It works, because I was using it to connect and download some things when I was still on windows on that machine. Don't know what's wrong there.
    You will have answers of your "questions" if you read manual/handbook , try start from here http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ooks/handbook/

cheerss