Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: freeBSD

freeBSD

I downloaded freeBSD 5.1, and I am trying to install it on my old p2 300mhz. I think I've installed the operating system ok, but I am trying to run KDE 3.1.3 on it, and its giving me problems. I was trying to have my resolution be 1280x1024 (on a 15in. monitor), but whenever I ran startx it would say "no screen". so I changed the resolution a few times and I had to take it down to 400x300. This is waaaay to small for me, and all the windows are too big to see. I'm not sure how to get the resolution up to 1280x1024. I know the monitor and graphics card supports it (I was using it on Windows). And I also get a few other errors when I first run startx. Something about dcopsomething not finding something. I can't look it up right now, but as soon as I can I will and I'll post again. So basically my problems are these:

Can't change resolution to 1280x1024
    Can't run startx or KDE without several errors

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: One of the errors was that startx and/or KDE didn't have write access. But I was logged in as root. So I don't know why.

Just Another Geek
    You probably need to edit the horizontal and vertical frequencies for your monitor.

You can find these in /etc/X11/XF86Config. Mine has this:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
            #DisplaySize      370   280     # mm
            Identifier   "Monitor0"
            VendorName   "GSM"
            ModelName    "4a40"
            HorizSync    30.0 - 100.0
            VertRefresh  50.0 - 200.0
            #Option     "DPMS"
    EndSection
    Look in the documentation of your monitor for your values!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ok, well I'm trying to do this, but it keeps saying that it cannot write the file. I don't know what's wrong. And in KDE I kept getting an error about not being able to write.

Another error: When I type startx and KDE opens up, I get an error about dcopserver, and it lists my ISPs name. Don't know what that's about.

If you type XFree86 -configure it wil let you reconfigure then you just copy it over to its rightful place. Read chapter 5 (5.4) of the handbook for the rest. and if you do not have the handbook you MUST get a copy to read -- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/index.html
    to download ---- ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/do...books/handbook Make sure you install portupgrade and cvsup they both will be important to you in the future , have fun here is a good place to find articles on configuring sound,firewalls...... http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
    I'm getting this error right before KDE pops up. I totally reinstalled freeBSD, and I still cannot write the XFree86 file. I don't know what is wrong. It's like the entire system is read only.

That is an odd error , i would guess file system corruption , you can try the command fsck (as root) When you say you can not write to the /etc/x11/Xf86Config file, is that from the install menu? (/stand/sysinstall) if so that is normal if you pick things that won't work .Try the what i suggested above and them move the old file and copy the new over. 1280x1024 is too high for a 15' (recomended for +17') I would go with at least one step down. 800x640 is probably best. I would say almost for sure your monitor will not support 1280x1024

#XFree86 -configure ( put in all the appropriate stuff as prompted)
    #cd /etc/X11
    #mv XF86Config XF86Config.old
    #cp /tmp/XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config
    #su yourusername
    $startx

I am fairly sure /tmp/XF86Config.new is where it gets written but not 100% so pay atention to what it says and change if needed
    The command xvidtune can be used for fine tuning after just be sure of what your monitors limits are cause you can destroy your monitor easily.

I don't know the refresh rates of my monitor, and I do not have the manual for it. It is a NEC MultiSync XV15+.

I've decided to switch over to Gnome 2, so most of this stuff is irrelevant now, but I am still getting an error.
    Here it is:
    xauth: (argv:1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command
    Anyone know what this is about?

If you paste your monitors make and model into google or pretty much any search engine you will get the specs for sure in the first couple links. Having the correct specs for your monitor will help considerably and save the risk of killing your monitor. Do you have a graphic interface? If so i would not worry too hard as long as stuff works. I would try posting the error in the x-11 forum here--> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/ It should not matter if you use gnome or kde. Gnome should be a little faster ,there are many other desktops that are a lot lighter but are generally harder to configure. X is the underpinings and a very plain desktop . KDE,Gnome ,blackbox,.... make the fancy stuff possible.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I don't know the refresh rates of my monitor, and I do not have the manual for it. It is a NEC MultiSync XV15+.
    I did a simple search on google. Keyword: NEC MultiSync XV15 and found
    THIS!

Just Another Geek
    Setting the security level during the install could be the reason you cannot write to /etc/X11/XF86Config. For normal (testing) operation set this to none! Only use the higher security levels when you know what you are doing and are running a production server.

I've decided to switch over to Gnome 2, so most of this stuff is irrelevant now, but I am still getting an error.
    Only for the errormessages generated by KDE. You seem to have a problem with X-Windows not starting properly or it's not running the right resolution. This has nothing to do with the window- or desktopmanager.

Before you startx try to remove the /root/.Xauthority file and try again.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.