Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why *nix?

Why *nix?

I use windows for gaming . Everybody says that Windows sucks , get linux. I was just wondering why *nix is so good for hackers?
    [shadow]Welcome to the Real World...[/shadow]

It's stable, it's free, it's open-source, it's powerful and it has more "hacking tools" than you could ever want. Try doing some searching on google for more information. Also try searching the forums here because this topic gets covered a lot. Welcome to linux world and go buy SuSE!
    -NeuTron

well linux is strings free OS....unlike windows.....
    u wish to do something......there is always a way.......certainly there isnt in Windows...
    lemme compare these with languages... lets say we are abt to compare... C and VB....
    if u are familiar with C ... this or that way .. u can do anything in C even the things that C forbids....like changing the value of constants..........in VB if something is restricted that means it is restricted u cant do it any way...

More over linux is an Open Sourse OS....many hands working for its betterment..not just confined to labs of staff paid to develop for it....like Windows.. the closed source...

lastly but not least...

u cant say anything abt anything until u use it........

start using linux.... and u will feel the difference ur self...
    well to newbies it first sometimes hurts....
    i would like to quote Ken Thompson here..... on the release of UNIX he said " UNIX is a very simple OS but u need to be a genius to use understand the simplicity"......

So bee geek...and move over to linux... u have any prob in linux... u will find endless resources on web to help u out....

switch over to it...and feel the vibe....
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Linux is the most fast addictable drug out there ..... You want some, have some ... .get addicted to an OS that works. Would you like to NEVER have to fill in a registration, a serial ,.... ? I know I love it.

a first very important tip : http://www.google.com/linux <-- your best partner in the addiction.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Blast From the Past
    as soon as i saw my friend's dad using red hat 9 i ws hooked
    now ive downloaded just about every linux distro i could and im still looking
    red hat 9 (my fav) and i cant leave my compuer im always amazed at the extream lack of restrictions with linux over winblows
    just my 2 cents on the sub

i hav some great linux help sites on my other comp wich is currently down right now but asap il get them into this post so keep checking back
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I use about 5 different os'. I use

Windows XP when I use MSVC++ and games.

freeBSD for my main internet stuff since it has great security

RedHate 7.0 for programming

Madrake whenever I feel like it.

Some things people should know about windows. Most goverment computers actually run Windows 98.

My thought on why linux well for one thing the are software programs that are free and you can change everything in linux from the kernel to the GUI(Graphic user interface) use it as a console with no GUI have several different window managers such as Sawfish-Afterstep-Enlightenment and others with windows you are limited to what you can do with the Gui.

Why *nix????

Because rebooting is for adding new hardware.

End of story.

"Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"

Amen to that.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

cos it also runs in realtime, unlike windows when your using the hardware ports for homemade hardware, so its better for making "clocks" for controlling devices

i2c