All in one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All in one

Banned

Question All in one

Hail

Is there any GOOD all in one solution to use in windows 98 ? i mean... maybe anti-virus and firewall in the same software, not like for example norton internet security wich runs two diffrent applications.
    Please tell me, because i don't like to have many things installed, i also don't like "heavy" software with many files in many places, etc. I think you understand, thanks.

Farewell

Even if there was a such an application, it might be more prudent for you to stick with seperate applications from well-known companies. There are ways to get both application for free but they are still going to be seperate.
    Free Antivirus
    Free Firewall

you could also use advanced administrative tools in case u ever need to do any inquiries and stuff in a network. Get a free 30 day trial here: www.glocksoft.com/aatools.htm

Banned
    So if i have to use a anti-virus and a firewall, what should i use ? i can't use norton because "I also don't like "heavy" software with many files in many places, etc"

Well when it comes to software for windows it can't be helped windows scatters files all over the place. I did some searching and from my findings you only have four options maybe more I don't know them yet
    1. Use AATools like Cybr1d suggested
    2.Use norton internet security (yes I know that you don't want to use it)
    3. Use nothing at all and wait intill a company comes out with one that you like
    4 use a different operating system so you won't have to worry about viruses so that leaves you with only one thing to worry about and that is the firewall

Banned
    1: I don't understand, that application looks like those network utilities, i want anti-virus and firewall.

2: Please my friend, don't mess with me.

3: Thats what i have been doing, and now i come here to see if anyone helps me.

4: I use slackware.

Thing,

Unfortunately, when it comes to Windows, a lot of software likes to fall in the bloatware category (and to think that Bill Gates once said, "640k ought to be enough for anyone", speaking on the subject of RAM).

Also don't forget that these products (especially the anti-virus) needs to be able to intercept incoming traffic to all applications. For example, you want the virus checker to intercept that incoming mail that Outlook or Eudora is retrieving, check it and clean it, before it gets to your Inbox. For that, it's going to need to hook into those applications. Thus files everywhere.

For anti-virus, there are few reliable products around. I use Norton for my anti-virus since I find their subscription more friendly than McAfee. For a firewall, I run ZoneAlarm (cause I'm a cheap b**tard :P ).

If you have too much money, you could invest in a separate firewall box. That way you wouldn't have to worry about software for that part.

In short, Windows = Bloat

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Ok first of all I am not trying to start anything. all I am doing is trying to help you
    In your first post you said the following
    Is there any GOOD all in one solution to use in windows 98 ?
    Cybr1d and NeuTron both gave you great sites to check out and now you are saying that you are using slackware If I knew you were using slackware my reply would been about software that had to with slackware not windows.

Thing if you would take the time to read what you typed before pressing the submit reply button you just might get the answers you are looking for.

Banned

Big ...

Please stop being lame.

dradaddict use your brain, i said i use slackware, not IM USING(OR WHAT ****ING EVER) slackware. That was very lame even you read(OR WHAT ****ING EVER) IM USING "Is there any GOOD all in one solution to use in windows 98 ?"

Im going to uniscribe this and bla bla bla, so, waste your time with replays saying that i am being rude and bla bla bla, next time please think.
    you didn't understand ? i don't care! thanks anyway.