Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange happenings with computer

hmm..I was wondering...why would it reboot at around 10:30 every day if it was just something to do with overheating or power spikes?The only way that'd be possible was that if he had the computer on for almost the same time every day..if he doesnt it sounds like a software prob to me...sure you dont have something in your scheduled tasks?

Errrrr,

This is rather an old thread? you can tell that because the date at the top is flashing Generally it is not a good idea to add stuff to old threads, even though a lot of them seem to be "hanging there" without a resolution. I am afraid that some people never get back and tell you what the solution was

therenegade, your question is quite valid in my opinion, as you are asking about suggested solutions.

So, I will try to suggest a few possible answers. You will have noticed that the event is at 10.30 at night?

1.People are creatures of habit. They tend to follow set behavioural patterns, so at some time in the evening the computer gets turned on. This is probably the same time, home from school, after evening meal, and so on? It follows, therefore that if a machine is overheating slightly it will reach a critical temperature at around the same time. This is particularly true if something like central heating (I noticed that you are from India ) cuts in at a set time to warm the house for the night. Remember that your air cooling systems will only work relatively to the ambient (air) temperature? Also this is a married lady with a child, homemakers are one of the most likely groups to have a set behavioural pattern out of necessity?

2. A lot of houses have devices that operate on timers, and that will create a power spike when they start up. Also you may be on the same supply as a bakery or some other commercial user that powers up their equipment at a certain time. Finally the electricity generating company will have a schedule of planned maintenance and turn generators on and off. Frequently at the same time? They work shifts..............

3. I did suggest the problems that can be caused by software that manages power supply. Scheduled tasks could be an answer, but you might remember that you had set it up? and if it failed, you should get an error message, or at least notice that it had not worked?

Please do not take this reply as criticism in any way.

Until I joined AO, I had very little experience of trying to support people remotely without at least voice contact.........I have learned a lot, just from that experience.

I hope that I have answered your question

Sorry about not replying before the problem with my computer was that the hard drive was dieing. I had to replace it in Nov and my computer doctor told me that it was a problem of overheating that was shutting down the system.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Hi lostit44,

Many thanks for the update, I was afraid that might be the problem.

I don't know what your "doctor" dispensed, but I would recommend that you get an exhaust fan. These are high volume flat fans that take up one of the expansion slots at the back of you computer (PCI/ISA). They cost around $5-10 and will shift 40-50 cubic feet of air a minute out of your machine. I install them as standard in any machine I build or refurbish.

When I build a new machine with two hard drives I use HDD coolers. It is a mounting with (usually) three small fans at the front that suck cool air in, and blows it over the drives. A build up of hot, stale air is a real HDD killer. You fit the drive into the cooler and the whole assembly screws into the 5.25" bay.

Cheers

I just run my main comp without either of the side panels on and an ocilating fan blowing on the comp and me... heh... works for me...

Hey,

I have to keep my side panels on, I have a dog that is intrigued by anything that moves. He is insistent that it must be licked. So the extra fans Nihil recommends are difinitely the ticket here. No telling what might happen if I get a big ole slobbery tongue on the CPU Fan..

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

One things for sure... You would have one well cooked hot dog... heh...