how do you know if you have been hacked?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you know if you have been hacked?

how do you know if you have been hacked?

I know everyone here has been asked this a million times but how do you know if you have been hacked?

Here is the deal, for starters I don't know much about internet security but today this error message pops up saying that the remote procedure call was terminated unexpectedly. Now it gave like 60 seconds before it was going to restart my computer so I did not get a good chance looking over the error message I do know that it said something like NT Authorization/system? I looked up what a remote procedure call was and from what I can gather its another computer trying to link up to mine? Since it said it was terminated, does that mean they did not get in, if in fact that is what it means?

kativan

Try looking down around your ankles. If your trousers are there and you have a sore rectum you have been hacked.

P.S Read the other forums before posting crap like this.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Go to Google and type in RPC again. You'll find the answer to your question if you read a little longer.

I have to agree with Mark here. Your post lacks "meat". This is like going to the doctor and saying, "I don't feel well, do I have cancer?"
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    Don't worry about negative response's from some here at A/O.
    Being new to computer's myself i can only suggest with my limited knowledge
    to download a Personal Fire Wall to reduce the chances of future intrusion's. I
    installed Sygate's P.F.W. and found it easy to set up and maintain. It has a security
    log that records the time, remote host and IP details which might enable you to
    get an idea of the attackers origin. Hope that this may help.

p.s. Where you looking in the mirror mark_boyle2002 ? too much info thank's.

Kativan, you might also want to read the similar threads listed below.

"Where you looking in the mirror mark_boyle2002 ? too much info thank's"

WTF are you on about. "where" ?

Just Another Geek
    I'll give you a 100 to 1 chance someone tried to exploit the now infamous rpc hole.

If someone really hacked your computer (and did it properly) you would have a really hard time trying to find it (if you notice it at all that is).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

it does sound like someone tryed the rpc exploit. the successful ones dont pop-up a msg they just open a reverse shell. put in a firewall so the rpc ports arent exposed and keep current up on your patches
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Token drunken Irish guy
    Originally posted here by mark_boyle2002
    Try looking down around your ankles. If your trousers are there and you have a sore rectum you have been hacked.

P.S Read the other forums before posting crap like this.
    Possibly the most uneccessary and stupid reply I have ever witnessed to any question from a newbie on any website ever.

Did you actually think that was funny.

God AntiOnline has degraded so badly that its scary.

Banned
    Thank's for the negg's mark_boyle2002, just goes to show the the maturity that
    "some" senior's like yourself greatly lack. kativan made his first post with a simple
    question that could have been answered easily by any curtious person that could
    help. Instead you were a smartypants. Why? Do you get off on showing you are
    smarter than a newbie? Maybe you should think back when you were less than
    knowledgable in this field and be more helpfull.

p.s. I think that i can speak fine english thank's, so with an attitude like your's toward
    new member's maybe you should do an anger managment course and start hugging some
    tree's. cheerio.

Most of the time you wont know you have been hacked if you dont have a firewall or anything running. Some one may use your computer as a jump point to get into another computer or use your computer to try and crack codes with you ever knowing.

If you are connected through DSL or Cable broadband, then a personal firewall is essential to make it harder for the bad guys to get in.