Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how do you know if you have been hacked?

Tiger Shark,

I disagree. I believe that you should familiarise yourself with your surroundings before commiting to post. I didn't do this when I just started and got negged for it.

So I don't see why anyone else should be any different.

BTW What star wars posts ?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    BTW What star wars posts ?
    Sorry, my bad..... It was the Terminator posts...... 'nuff said?

I believe that you should familiarise yourself with your surroundings before commiting to post
    Ahh..... I see..... Here's poor little Joe and Josephine Brown who have diligently worked away on their taxes and online banking and a whole host of other stuff on their computer who suddenly think that it has been compromised. But they don't have a clue as to the how, why or wherefore that it could have happened. They have no idea how computers and the internet work...... They simply went out and bought all these pretty, easy to use tax programs etc and away they went. Right now the _only_ thing going through their mind is the fact that they have probably had their identity stolen and right now their life savings are going down the drain right behind their credit rating........

Your suggestion is they pop onto good old AO and hang out for a few weeks until they "get a feel" for how to ask the question or search for information. I submit that you have never been in a situation where you have paniced.... But Joe and Josephine are in that situation right now. AO is a resource for people to use. I for one pride myself in being a contributor to AO and therefore as a useful resource to others. If we all took the attitude you took in this thread then AO would cease to be a resource and simply become a chat-house for the elite.... I don't think that is what AO is for. If that's what you are looking for their are plently of elite lists out there and that is probably what you would want to subscribe to. But then you will still see post's like this one there too...... 'cos not everyone is really elite and there will always be questions that you think are dumb.....

I didn't do this when I just started and got negged for it.
    I can assure you that Joe and Josephine don't give a flying.... well, you know.... about being negged...... They want to know if they have been hacked and what they can do about it and, more importantly, should they start calling their credit card companies, bank etc. to try to mitigate the damage.

Joe and Josephine have enough problems when they post their "dumb" post...... I think you do them, yourself and AO a disservice when you fly off the handle at them.....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it..........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

That's very right Tiger Shark! I agree with that 101%...

When you're paniced.. it's like your out of your mind due to the pressure of your problem.. those people who got problem don't even have a time to search or don't know how to search...
    \"Knowledge is the beginning of something you don\'t know.\"

Kativan , you need to install a security device , but i don't why people choose to live their gate wide open for the bad guy to intrude , well but Katvan you should not forget to close your mouth because of flies.
    DE SCORPION KING

O.K Tiger shark.

I get the picture but all the same I still disagree.

Shall we agree to disagree ?

I believe the antipoints system is the communities way of self policing itself.

E.G yesterday I was an ass and I got negged.

The day before I helped people and got +s

The day before I wrote a bad post which was poorly worded and contained incorrect terminology and grammer. I was negged.

Can't believe I had spelling mistakes in this post (D'OH)

Mark: As I said above..... "that's my story and I'm sticking to it"...... Yeah, we can agree to disagree and while we continue to disagree I will continue to try to help people no matter how "dumb" their questions are, (except, of course, if they ask how to hack hotmail..... ), you are free to be an ass to the same people if you wish but it's you you are hurting not them.

As to antipoints, yeah, you are right, it's the community's way of policing itself. But let's be a tad realistic. Joe and Josephine are gonna come in once, get the answers they need, (hopefully), and never return. They are not part of the community, they are visitors with a problem just the same as a tourist in Glasgow who has a breakdown . You don't go yelling at them 'cos their car broke down do you? You either fly by and ignore them or you try to help. It's the same for Joe and Josephine..... They just need help..... They aren't trying to become a part of your community and, as such, neither care nor know about antipoints and what they mean.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ok I was going to leave this one alone but, I decided against it. Tiger you are right but the least a person could do whe the first come to the site is read the FAQ's I mean come on.

Now to be honest if the person where to take ten seconds they would be able to find the answer to there question with out ever having to post there question the Forums here have all types of info. If you take 5 minutes then you will have everything that you need and more. Now I will say just to play devils Advocate I understand that when you are panic you don't want to wait you want it. NOW. But that is the first hting that you learn about anything never panic.

I will help just because, I like to help but, even if they do get flamed to death and banned you can come on as a guest and read the post that people gave to your post. So they still get what they want because, someone is going to post the answer. That is probably the single greatest strength of AO so many different people so you will get the answer some way or another, even if you don't get your answer you are just about guaranteed to get a source to go to. So you can get the answer.

Whizkid2300

Whiz: They may read the FAQ's...... and if they don't know what it is they are looking for they are no better off..... These people aren't noobs...... They aren't even that well versed in computer science..... They are below noobs.....

As far as negging people who neither know nor care about antipoints..... Who's time are you wasting..... sure as hell not theirs..... But hell, if it makes you feel good to sneer at someone because they don't understand what you understand then go ahead..... I will guarantee you that the person that you sneer at would be able to reverse the situation if another subject was brought up.

Antipoints are a way of rewarding posts of value and punishing posters who prove over multiple posts that they deserve to have it pointed out that they are being an ass/pain/wally or plonker. I don't think anyone need waste their time negging someone on their first post, unless it is of the "how do I hack X" ilk...... Then I'm in there with you negging away.....

Yeah that is what Negs are for but come on. Be honest how many people actually read the FAQ's. But I have to go the same as Mark we are going to have to agree to Disagree. Now if a person were to ask a nice question ie. what is a proxy server? Yeah I would help them I just can't stand it when the same damn question comes up. I think I have been Hacked. It would do nothing to that person that I negger for two reasons one my points are worth much and two why would you care about points if you don't come here that often. But you need to be curtious to all. So Neg or Flame or Tell them nicely.

Agree to Halfly Disagree.

Whizkid2300

Fair go whizkid2300 come on, imagine starting a new job that you have no
    experience in what so ever and asking the boss a question only to have him
    frown at you, call you stupid and tell you "go read the manual". Be realistic.
    I was always taught that you can never ask too many questions to advance
    your knowledge in something. Why would A/O have a newbee section at all?
    if everyone had your attitude this section would be useless. Maybe they should
    advertise that dumb, lame ass, uneducated questions wont be answered here
    due to the tantrum spitting episodes of a few high and mighty. I hope not.