Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you know if you have been hacked?

First for a pro hacker it dont matter if you have Dial-up, Cable or DSL. So it wont make it harder for him. IT only makes it harder for a ScriptKiddie
    Second, you should have a antivirus,firewall and at least one trojan scanner.

I know everyone here has been asked this a million times but how do you know if you have been hacked?
    Well....It's sometimes simple. If many programs crash too often and you cannot run other software, then you should do a virus scan and see what you can get rid off.
    If it fails to delete some files, you should end their process and delete them manualy.

while in the event log I found this

The user 35022747@msn.net successfully established a connection to MSN explorer using COM3.

what does this mean? And since I am not that computer literate, do you recommend taking the computer in for service?

Banned
    about com3it means that you are using MSN as a ISP and that your modem connected you via COM3 (modem port) to MSN ... it basicly means you are online ..nothin dangerous

about tracing them : if you have the IPs of the attacker loggen just trace them ...http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-toys/ip-locate/ .....

about servicei dont think there's need to take your box to a service ....we are everything you need

where would I find it? the IP that is

Banned
    do you have a firewall .?

good question

I think so but I am not for sure, where should I look for it if I do in fact have one?

Banned
    well you could download a firewall like www.zonealarm.com or got o www.google.com and type in "download free firewalls"(without the quotes).....install it, when somebody attacks you the firewall logs the IP in a file called log.txt or something like that in the install directory of the firewall ...

Great post.....

Great post Grinler, very helpfull and informative. I'm sure that
    all who are just starting to learn how their own computers operate (like myself)
    were grateful for the info. I see that you have only two posts under your belt, well
    with postings like this you will be a most respected member at A/O, and maybe an
    example of the high standards that this site should promote. Keep em comin.

Thanks again TidaL.

Apologies to all and those who got the brunt of my anger yesterday.

Ennis, Thanks for pointing out I was being an ass.

Once again apologies to all but I'm sick of seing the same forums over and over again. Do people no longer search the archives before posting.

I'm sure when I just started I got negged lots of times for asking bone head questions

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mark: I have to say that this is hardly the first time you have made inane or inappropriate posts on AO. Your longtime barrage of Star Trek posts was a wonderful example of your sometimes puerile behavior.

You need to understand when a new user asks a question such as "How do I know if I have been hacked" they probably have no clue how to search or what to search for. If they put in the word "hacked" thay are going to get a list of posts as long as their arm none of which seem relevant. Since they don't know much else it becomes hard for them to narrow the search to find something of use. Thus you will always get questions like this. Remember back when you didn't know that RPC existed or what a port was let alone a port scanner or ping sweep? It's kind of like trying to find the word for "dog" in a French dictionary..... Bit hard to find if you don't know the word is "chien"......

The title of the post was quite clear..... If you don't want to read them don't click on them!!!!
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides