Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "SET LOGON HRS" my wife is FUZZING, pls HELP!

Angry "SET LOGON HRS" my wife is FUZZING, pls HELP!

hello guys....

i have a litte problem that is becoming a major ONE and this is the play:

my son he is 13yrs old who likes to play games all the time on the web (we admit that he is good with his homework so far) he plays a game call diablo II with his friends its kinda like a lan party for them....

because of this he is not doing his chores and my wife says its my fault (and she is always fuzzing about it) because i let him use the pc as long as he wants it....i want to STOP it! because i am at work i am not able to control the time he uses the pc

i am using windows xp pro and i know there is a way to SET LOGON HOURS....i just dont know how to do it and where this is located it....SO if any one can help i will appreciate it and you will save my marrige (well is not that bad) but this way i can tell my lady there's a lot to learn on the net! and not just playing games.....

thank for your help

imdeemvp@yahoo.com

Hopefully this is what you are looking for:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_restrict_users.htm
    - Maverick

MS answer

Here is the answer strait from the horses mouth

Subject: Setting Restricted Login Hours on XP Standalone System
    I recently had to contact Microsoft Tech Support for assistance on this so I wanted to post the article on the web incase someone else had this same issue.

Situation: You want to restrict the logon days / times of a user account in XP and are a standalone machine.

Reason: You may wish to restrict teens who arrive home before adult supervision from accessing your broadband always on connection, limit employees to only work hours access etc..

Steps:

To Set restrictions:

Click Start
    Click Run
    Type cmd in the run box and press enter.
    The following is a sample of what you would type:
    net user testuser /times:M-F,5pm-9pm; Sa,6am-9pm;Su,6am-9pm

Where testuser is the local account name.

To Remove Restrictions:

Click Start
    Click Run
    Type cmd in the run box and press enter.
    The following is a sample of what you would type:
    net user testuser /times:all

Where testuser is the local account name.

I hope someone else finds this useful as I did.

Ken Foster
    No I don't know who ken is besides the fact that he posts t othe same MS newsgroup I do and his post made it into the best posts for windows xp on MS's site.

Can someone move this out of tut's and over to MS or General?

Banned
    sure

Sir!

With the greatest of respect, I must point out that micochips and computers will not RAISE YOUR CHILD. This takes parental love.

Hey,I am married to my third wife, so I claim a certain amount of experience (do you spell that "incompetence")

His games or whatever are possibly an escape................make sure of the education and "£$%^&* or whatever the "chores"....he will have enough of those when he gets married.

Nice knowing ya.................Negative will now destroy me....he is getting married soon.........but the ghosts of the San Jacinto River will haunt him................

I guess you must win a prize for being most out of topic?????...well on a motivation basis I suppose?

Just a word about restricting the accounts, should you go through with the restriction make sure all the accounts are secure. ie. other unrestricted accounts are password protected, default administrator account is disabled, etc. Kids are getting much smarter and more computer literate these days, and often pick up on certain tricks, for example at the XP logon screen hitting alt+ctrl+delete twice and logging into the "administrator" account that is set with no password.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

The best way to keep him off would be to pull out some key component, what ever seems easiest for you; monitor, hard drive, memory, power supply. Although software security would do an okay job for a while, having the monitor removed and locked in a steel safe would get him off of it without you needing to worry about him breaking the software.

There are other options...

There are usage monitoring programs that will allow you to monitor the amount of time spent on certain sites. This way it can be used for educational purposes. A free example can be found at ...

http://members.tripod.com/gauravdhup0/iumos.html

There are also programs that you can buy that will allow you to set the amount of time that the program can run. I do not have an example right now, but I will be looking for it shortly as my 12 year old will be starting school soon and I encourage him to use the internet for research but I want to limit the amout of "play" time he spends.

So that I don't get flamed... I do NOT encourage the use of keystroke loggers. I feel that any monitoring software installed on a home computer should be known to all users.

If I find a program that I like I will post the info.

Hope this helps,
    m2

Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I would like to know what the heck is wrong with logging your kids access...yes you should be a parent and basicly know what thay are up to, but it is unfair to them to be standing over their sholder every min of the day. Logging their activity seems like a very good solution to me, especaily if they enter chat rooms or ue messenger programs.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

bballad are you serious? Kids need privacy too you know, I don't think your kids would be happy if you knew everything they said to their friends via their computer. If my parents knew everything I do/did/said to friends I'd be dead by now.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com