Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modem doesn't dial out

modem doesn't dial out

ok, here's the problem. my dad has an old system, but he doesn't see the need to upgrade yet.
    its a P-II 333 on some PC-Chips board
    96MB RAM
    cd-rom
    2.3GB HD and a 4.5GB HD
    Windows 2000
    lucent 56k modem
    the problem is, when ever i try to connect to the internet i get an error 680 message. before i installed windows 2000 i experienced the same problem in windows xp pro also. I tryed switching modems and different pci slots, that didn't work.
    I checked to see if the modem was installed properly and even reinstalled drivers for it. I ran the modem diagnostics and everything seemed to be ok. i even tried different phone lines, still didn't work.
    A friend of mine said that the modem was not being initialized properly, but i don't know...

can someone tell me what the problem is?

Maybe a stupid question, but what are you dialing into? Do you already have the AOL or whatever software on the computer? I just want to know how you're going about it...just a few more details....because it seems like you've covered all the bases (at least all the ones I know about).

Things that you have to take in to consideration

*try to look at the dialing properties(phone number, tcp/ip settings, etc.)
    *modem drivers
    *phone line
    *see if the modem is working (try dialing a phone number from your Phone dialer )
    Start > Programs > Accesories > Communications > PhoneDialer
    if you have a cell phone dial yourself and you will see if the modem is dialing

there are some other things that you could do but i don't remember at this time.

Banned
    An 680 error in Windows (version doesn't matter, correct me if I'm wrong) means that there is no dial tone, check if your phone line is connected to the wall and to the port correctly... check if the phone jack you're using is working properly and etc....

Some more info for you:

There is no dial tone. Make sure your modem is connected to the phone line properly.
    Possible Reason
    The line is being used when you attempt to use it with your modem
    Solutions
    1. Make sure that they can hear a dial tone through the modem
    2. Make sure your telephone cable is plugged into the line or telco socket of the modem, not the phone socket
    3. Uncheck Wait for dial tone before dialing option at modem properties

jag291

If none of the above works, then try checking the cord running from the computer to the phone jack, I had the same problem yesterday, turns out one of my cords was damaged. Hook a phone into the cord and plug it into the jack, if no dialtone, then your cord may be shorted or damaged.
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

Try using a windows 98. I though Win2k might be a bit much for pII 333 96mb RAM. I dunno...just try a win 98 and see if it works there. Dont know for the modem itself though...try swapping it...modems r fairly cheap nowdays.

in jamaica we don't use aol.i didn't ask my isp for the setup cd cauz i didn't think i'd need it.
    i unchecked the wait for dial tone option.i hooked up a phone to the same cord and i got a dial tone, so the jack is fine.(btw its the same jack i use to connect to the internet from my room...i just used a splitter so both computers could share the same jack at different times).
    different phone cords didn't solve the problem.i guess i've tried everything but i'll try it again in a while.
    thanks for the help.

Banned
    Is your telephone connected to your computer and then your computer is connected to your wall?

Like so:

|
    |Wall -----------Phone Cable------Computer--------------Telephone
    |

jag291

maybe the problem is your modem itself. i use to get that same problem when im fixing my friends computer, it took me 2 hours to realize that maybe its modem that has a problem. i've tried borrowing another modem from another friend and use it to test the cputer that i was fixing. Wallah!! the second modem work!!! it means the original modem has damage i think on the connector part
    [glowpurple]Costumer Rule:

1. Costumer is Always Right![/glowpurple][glowpurple]
    2. If the costumer is wrong, proceed to rule 1.[/glowpurple]

just to let you know i found the problem. it was the modem itself(should have figured that out earlier...,even though the modem was bought a few weeks ago). its a good thing i have 2 machines both with modems, just swapped out modems and that solved the problem.

thanks.