LAN help

Thread: LAN help

LAN help

I know nearly nothing about networking computers together, but me and a couple of friends want to hook comps together so we can game. Can any of you give me a little tut on how i need to do it? I know I need like a hub or something, but what do the computers have to have? Do they need like a network card or something? Thnx

OK to network computers together you will need a NIC (network Card) in each computer, you will need a hub, switch, or router, the hub will be the cheapest. Then of course you will need the cat 5 cable.

As far as telling you how to do it I need your OS. If your using XP then you can use the networking wizard built in, I believe WIN 98 has one to. Let me know your OS, and I'll get back to you.

Also check out the microsoft support website. They might have some info to help you there.
    www.support.microsoft.com
    =

I'm running XP on two comps, 2000 ME on the other (Not brave enough to run both Unix and XP on my desktop yet

Yeah what I would suggest that you do is run the network set up wizard. In xp go to control panel, then Network Connections. Somewhere on the left side of the screen you should see something like set up a home or small office network. After you click on it, it will help you set it up. Afterwards it will give you an option to create a network setup disk. Create that disk then run it on your other computers.

I believe that should get you going.

Keep in mind that when you are gaming over the LAN a switch would be faster than a hub.
    =