Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get your linux licence for $1399 and if you order now only $699

$699 to run linux

SCO will be offering an introductory license price of $699 for a single CPU system through October 15th, 2003. Pricing for multiple CPU systems, single CPU add-ons, desktop systems and embedded systems will also be available. Linux users who are interested in additional information or purchasing an IP License for Linux should contact their local SCO sales representative or call SCO at 1-800-726-8649 or visit our web site at
    SCO aka. Satan has made headlines yet again today. $700 is their bargain price to run Linux Kernel 2.4 or higher. After October, it would run you $1400.
    Full Article Here

Anyone who pays Scum 700$ is a moron. Plain and simple . Just imagine if say Sony came out and said Phillips took ip from us to make cd's so now every person who owns a cd owes us 1$ for every one they have. How far do you think that would go? . Considering SCO distributed linux for so long while they knew of "there stolen ip" and are now breaking the GPL with binary distibutions.There response to red hats laws suit is a threat of conspiracy charges, and more lawsuits (their stock dropped 15% when redhat announced their suit)

"Of course, we will prepare our legal response as required by your complaint. Be advised that our response will likely include counterclaims for copyright infringement and conspiracy." FUDFUDFUD
    http://ir.sco.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=115476
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

SCO is already pricing licenses...

If SCO wins their lawsuit against IBM, you may need to purchase additional licenses for every copy of Linux installed. SCO is offering an introductory license price of $699 for a single CPU system through October 15th, 2003. After October 15, SCO says they'll want $1399.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030805/latu094_1.html

The chance of them winning the suit is small, but the cost of violating the license will be high.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ya but I don't think they'll be able to do much until they deal with this:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=247010

I suspect that any attempts to charge may be halted with an injection.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    $699 for a single CPU system...... Who do they think they are, Microsoft......

By the time they drag this thing all the way through the court system the entire kernel will have been rewritten and all they will have to show for it is a large pile of legal bills and no income...... Oh well...... I never liked anyone who brings out the lawyers 'cos they can see a little bit of green at the end of a tunnel...... Hope they drown in their own stupidity.... Right alongside the RIAA and the MPAA.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Here's what they're thinking......The suit isn't scheduled to go to trial until 2005. Over the next year and a half, stupid people will be scared into paying them just to avoid any chance of doing something illegal. This is going to help fund their extremely pricey battle with IBM and RedHat. If they lose the suit, at least they will have gotten some money for their "licenses" in 2003 and 2004. This whole situation reaks of Microsoft to me. Now that it will appear as if Windows is cheaper than linux Microsoft can squash the current shift in the marketplace. I don't think they will be successful but their tactics aren't stupid either. Oh and no big deal but I did post this exact thread yeaterday Here.
    -NeuTron

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I did post this exact thread yeaterday
    Ahh crap. Here I thought I did a decent job of looking for a similar post. Neg, Mittens? Can ya dump this post? Seems that the delete function is still hosed up. I can't remove it.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Can ya dump this post?
    don't even worry about it TH. It's good to have it on the main page.

SCO is becoming too greedy. Do they not understand the meaning of open source?? Even if it is true that they own part of the code that is in Linux, there are still thousands of developers that have contributed to Linux to make it what it has become today.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\" - Albert Einstein

agreed, but open-source is a tough concept for people to grasp these days. If there is no money involved, people just don't understand it. Open-source was one of the last uncorrupted pieces of today's world where values and morals were still important. Thousands of contributors around the world who thought more about making something better and not on how to cash in on it.