Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Get your linux licence for $1399 and if you order now only $699

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Well, I think as Tiger Shark pointed out, by the time all this is resolved, I think the "offending" code will be gone. I suspect that Linus is already working on this problem as is the original author.

I agree with Tiger Shark and MsMittens here, lets say SCO want us to pay licences (if they win) cause we use kernel 2.4 and kernel 2.5 but at the moment Linus Torvald been working on kernel 2.6 and you can see it from here
    On June 16th, Darl McBride, President and CEO of The SCO Group pulled the trigger on IBM. "Over the last several months, SCO has taken all of the steps outlined in the Unix licensing agreements to protect its rights. Today SCO is requesting that the court enforce its rights with a permanent injunction. IBM no longer has the authority to sell or distribute AIX."

To which IBM's spokesperson Trink Guarino replied, "The AIX license is irrevocable and perpetual. We will try this case in the courts and win." Before her official announcement, she also said that AIX customers have nothing to worry about and should have no doubts about continuing to use AIX.

What McBride didn't say in SCO's annoucement was that SCO is now directly targeting Linus Torvalds, Linux's founder. SCO, while not taking direct action against Torvalds at this time, has declared that Torvalds is either unable or unwilling to check that submitted Linux code has not been stolen from SCO's Unix code.

The next day, June 17th, in a move that appears unconnected to SCO's legal actions, Linus announced in that he was taking a leave of absence from Transmeta and joining the Open Source Development Lab, a non-profit consortium of Linux-related companies, to work full-time on Linux. Torvald said, "It feels a bit strange to finally officially work on what I've been doing for the last twelve years, but with the upcoming 2.6.x release it makes sense to be able to concentrate fully on Linux."
    And by the time SCO want us to pay...I think Linus Torvald already have kernel 2.6 ready to use (of course will be free).

Originally posted here by the_JinX

but still.. as soon as this happens I'll switch to BSD !!

Good choice...the_JinX why not ..
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I like BSD. But honestly... I like Linux better. Maybe if they merged into one OS. Hmmmm.

sweet_angel, I only have a laptop atm, and laptop support on linux is better then BSD atm I believe!!

Update on IBM's counter action
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Isn't slack somewhat BSD?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by sweet_angel
    I agree with Tiger Shark and MsMittens here, lets say SCO want us to pay licences (if they win) cause we use kernel 2.4 and kernel 2.5 but at the moment Linus Torvald been working on kernel 2.6 and you can see it from here
    Before this even gets to court we'll be on V3 of the kernel...

This whole thing is about share price.

Every action SCO make is an attempt to add shareholder value - SCO get $1300 per kernel - wow we shuld all buy SCO shares.

They are so far down the line with this whole stupid thing that if they backed down now the share price would collapse to next to nothing & some one would buy them just to sell off their assets.

They are fighting for their coporate asses.

It's pathetic and threy haven't got a chance!
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

slack uses BSD style init scripts or something like that. I cant remember at the moment but it does have some similarties. Not alot though.