i always wanted to know this... did you???

Thread: i always wanted to know this... did you???

i always wanted to know this... did you???

do you know when you go to a web site and you either post a msg in a forum or try to download something... then you get the screen saying "you will be taken to where you came from shortly" or "you will be redirected to blabla soon" or "your download will start in 15 sec".... but there's a link right below that saying "if you cannot wait click here to go -there- right away"

my questions are:

1. what is going on during the time you are being "redirected"?
    2. why is it neccesary to do that?
    3. if it's neccesary why put a link below to go there right away?

basically i cannot concieve the reason why would this be neccesary ... can someone elaborate
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Hey Hey,

1) Nothing is going on. The page simple has Meta Refresh code in it.
    <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="10; URL=www.youraddress.com">

2) It saves people from having to click on the link, sometimes you like to know what's going on, you'd like some kind of confirmation that your post worked, or that your downloading the right software ( or if their are multiple choices on where u can download it form if that first link doesn't work ... i.e. download.com)

3) The link is usually below because not all browsers support Meta Tags, or Meta Refresh.

For more information check out http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/head/meta.html

[Edit]
    Damn jag, we must have hit submit at damn near the same time.
    [/Edit]
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    1) Exactly what it says, you are being directed to the file that you want to download... the webpage is linking you to the file you want on the server...

2) How else do you suppose to get a file off a server? You need to be directed to so that you can save it....

3) Because some browsers don't forward you automatically or in case some kind of error happens while loading....

jag291

just wondering thank you
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Banned
    HT.. it was probably a few seconds apart.. because I didn't even see your post when I finished with mine...

etruscan: Cheers mate..!

jag291

how did you know you hit the "post" button at the same time

Originally posted here by etruscan
    how did you know you hit the "post" button at the same time
    Because both our posts popped up at almost the exact same time...
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Whoa I think we have stepped into the twilight zone now "Twilight zone music"

I would like to thank "OrK" ... who for some reason negged me for this post... whoa dude, you are so smart...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    1) This post is old, the dates are flashing so it is considered dead.
    2) *NEVER* publically bitch about APs. It will only get you more. Read the FAQ and the Untimate Newbie Guide.

A nickel's worth of free advice from --TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden