Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best C book for beginner

welll..........

there is a saying "whenever in doubt always follow K & R"...this book is a must have for every programmer
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

there is a saying "whenever in doubt always follow K & R"...this book is a must have for every programmer
    hehe I agree

The C Programming Language, 2nd Ed. Kernighan & Ritchie is a must have C book. They sell for bout $40 but you could probably get it off ebay for a cheaper price. The book is not one of them C bible. It's only 250 pages but it covers everything.

No doubt the K & R books will be informative. I found Teach yourself C in 21 days to be a great reference to assist with C (use as a reference). I took a basic C programming class in college and proceed on to self taught system programming in C.

Cheers,

D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

A BOOK ON C PROGRAMMING:

I have longed to know the best book on C programming , pls i will still need a comprehensive list of the best ones.
    DE SCORPION KING

DE SCORPION: here's 2 links that I came across with on google.

http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html
    http://home.att.net/~jackklein/c/c_books.html

I have to agree with several of the above posts and recommend the C programming language by K&R. It's short, sweet and to the point, while at the same time readable and moderately paced. Each chapter contains several programming excercises to drive the important points home. If you go through this book and complete the excercises, you will not be disappointed. The only down side that I can think of is that the answers to the exercises come in a separate book that must be purchased. Aside from that, I can't think of anything else bad about it.

I've have read multiple books on the topic of C/C++ and by far the most comprehesive and understandable book was "Accelerated C++". It's relatively small and packs everything from pointers to templates into the 200+ pages. I love it...you might have to read back a few times but the book itself is in a league of its own.

"Accelerated C++"

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

I've never read the Deitel and Deitel book (the $85 one) myself, but it has quite a few positive reviews on Amazon. I've actually been considering it myself, but I haven't gotten over that pricetag either. Anyone here read C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata? That one looks really good, too.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

I go with the K & R. That's how I learned it, and I wouldn't have done any other way. It might be difficult, but if you don't fully get it, just read it again, and once more if required. There's plenty of exercise in it too. It's a classic.
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary, and those who can\'t.

er0k
    meh .. most people will say go with the K&R book... but unless you are already an advanced programmer, that book isnt for you.. id go with something more introductory.. rather than something so indepth and intricate