Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with CD-ROM

Problem with CD-ROM

OK im using WinXP. My CD-ROM icon is missing and I can't find it. I tryed creating a new shortcut but that did'nt work. Can anyone tell me what happened. Is there a way that I can find it? I even did a search and I could'nt find it.

Is this something that I should worrie about?
    Is there a program that I need that can fix it?
    Is there a way around this with out reformating?

Thanx in advance for your help. BLUEWOLF
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

It's a gas!
    Do you mean the icon in My Computer?
    How are you creating a shortcut?
    If the icon for your cdrom drive is missing in My Computer then chances are its not being detected in the POST.
    Id advise on checking the cables on the drive and see if the LED lights up when you turn the pc on.

You could also try a h/w test on the drive:
    Remove IDE cable
    Boot PC
    Insert factory pressed CD ie Original CD
    If (LED stays lit)
    drive is fubar'ed;

HTH

Well r3b00+ said,

Is it present in the device manager?

and Why would you see this as a securuity problem.. not hardware?

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanx r3b00+ for the info. The Led is did not light up. So it must be something wrong with the cables. Do you know which "p" is supposed to be connected to the CD-ROM. For instance "p3" or "p4" ect. As for the test im not sure if I want to mess around with that.

Also at the time it did seem like a Security problem. I mean I do want security with my CD-ROM.

Thanx BLUEWOLF !!
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

It's a gas!
    The LED did not light up when you turned your comp on?
    As for the test im not sure if I want to mess around with that.
    Theres nowt to it, just open the case pull out the IDE cable (the bigger one), close the case and turn your comp on.......then just put in an original CD (s/w cd would be perfect) and see what happens.

Is it present in the device manager?
    Where do i find the Device Manager?

Theres nowt to it, just open the case pull out the IDE cable (the bigger one), close the case and turn your comp on.......then just put in an original CD (s/w cd would be perfect) and see what happens.
    I put the CD in. I heard it spinning but I never found the CD-ROM icon..!?!?
    Is there any other advice you could give?

It's a gas!
    Device manager: Right-click My Computer, click properties, click Hardware then Device Manager.

So you did like i said and removed the cable before inserting the disc?
    If so did the LED stay lit or continuously flash or go out?

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Bluewolf.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but don't you think you should spend some time reading about how your machine works, how to install hardware & software etc.

You can either search the net for useful info or you could buy a dummies book.

It will do you the world of good and the extra knowledge you gain you can use to help others.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Go to Control panel.. and open system properties
    ie:-(depending on your setup)
    Start - Control panel - System
    Now.. click on the Hardware tab now the Device manager..

Judging by what you have just said.. The CD Rom is spinning, but you are not seeing the CD name and or Icon in the My Computer list..right..?

Here is a noob hardware/software site to check out..for these types of probs www.virtualdr.com .. .. but read the tutorial on "Help us help you" in the AO tutorials.. before you post a prob here or there.
    a plus for you is that you have worded the subject of the thread very well..

cheers

Oh if you feel insecure without your cd-rom.. I may have some bad news.. u may need to go back to the security blanket or pacifier.. and read my fav.. "The Complete Idiots Guide to those Computer Thingies"

edit.. geez steve you are hard aren't you.. and I thought I was the bad tempered und3rtak3r
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Device manager: Right-click My Computer, click properties, click Hardware then Device Manager.
    I found it thanx. When I wen to CD-ROM it gave me this number "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
    Also I did'nt pull out the IDE cables because I don't know what will happen. But thanx for the help.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but don't you think you should spend some time reading about how your machine works, how to install hardware & software etc.
    Than why did you????Also when you read books and stuff it can still be confusing. These forums are here for a reason. And with the information I am gaining know I can use to help others. Your were the only one being negative through out this whole thread. But w/e u had to throw in your 2 since without helping.

Thanx to everyone else though....Cheeers!!!

Here is a noob hardware/software site to check out..for these types of probs www.virtualdr.com .. .. but read the tutorial on "Help us help you" in the AO tutorials.. before you post a prob here or there.
    Thanx for the link!! I found the Device manager already thanx...