Thread: newb to linux

Question newb to linux

Hi, I'm having a problem with an older version of redhat linux, new to linux as you can tell. I'm trying to set up ppp, but in order to do that i have to type in linuxconf in the shell, well when i type it in it takes me to the linuxconf help file and not what I need. any help is much appreciated. Think it's 5.2 if that helps

Ok my firsst question is why are you installin g such an old version?

ya man, get red hat 9.0 www.linuxiso.org
    like i am in the process of downloading this very second.

80% of disc 3!
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Do Redhat 7.3 atleast, 7.2 if you will be using wireless, since 7.3's support of wireless is nil. Go to 9.0 if at all possible, it is great...except for some PERL module compliation problems.

Jade what Perl Compulation problems?

I am running 9.0 and I haven't had any problems yet.

Whiz

well RH 7.3 was an excellent realease.......
    anyhow try your hands on mandrake 9.1 ........i ensure you wont be disappointed.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

If being on dial up is keeping you from a more recent version pm me. I have a a ton of distros kicking around i don't need/use.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Did you try “ man linuxconf” ??

The question still begs, why RedHat 5.2 ? Why are you installing Linux?

If you want to learn Linux by installing RH 5.2, you are on the right track, you WILL learn, IF you get it running properly!!! ( you may need to download and compile your drivers for the modem etc. )

RH 5.2 uses the old ( 2.0 ) kernel, which is limited ( and not updated , last updated 2001-01-09 ); it does not have support for iptables ( the Netfilter firewall, nor does it have support for ipchains for that matter, you will be stuck with ipfwadm ), it does not have support for the ext3 file system ( a journaling file system, much more fault tolerant ) etc., and RH does not support updates any longer.

If it is because someone gave you their old box set, keep the books for reference and use the disks as coasters, they're a great conversation piece. ( can I have the bumper sticker, mine is worn off )

If you have a CD burner, do yourself a favor, download the latest RedHat ( 9.0 ) or Mandrake ( 9.1 ) and use one of them ( however long it takes ). They are MUCH easier for the beginner, should have all the drivers so you don't have to go searching on sourceforge.net, and updates are available as security issues are discovered. At the very least try to use RedHat 7.3, but if you do I would recommend using KDE on that version rather then Gnome ( I prefer the new Gnome for 9.0, but the old version on 7.x had some problems I could not deal with ).

Good Luck in what ever you decide to use, and welcome to Linux.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

It's a gas!
    Originally posted here by jadetiger
    Do Redhat 7.3 atleast, 7.2 if you will be using wireless, since 7.3's support of wireless is nil. Go to 9.0 if at all possible, it is great...except for some PERL module compliation problems.
    I beg to differ. I got my wireless NIC running fine on RH7.3.

Go with RH7.3, great distro!

can i plug slackware 9?

http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html