Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nVidia GeForce 4

Question nVidia GeForce 4

I have a problem running my new GeForce 440 mx AGPx8 on my computer. I'm running a P4 2.4GHz, 512MB PC3200. When running a game like SimCity 4 or GTAIII, after 20 min or so, it will lock up the computer and create a loud humming sound from my speakers. any ideas??? ive already uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for the card and AGP slot.
    Nothing sounds more like freedom than the thunderous roll of a Tomahawk.

have you looked for any patches for the game?
    =

I have looked for updated patches and drivers for both the games and video card, nothing works so far
    Nothing sounds more like freedom than the thunderous roll of a Tomahawk.

StealthThunder,

Mmm... it sounds to me like overheating. Have you looked at your fan to see if it's working correctly? SimCity 4 and GTA III work perfectly with any GeForces so i don't think the games are the culprits in this case.

Could be memory failure too as well as the GeForce malfunction but if you tell us that is just with that games.

No problem running applications in your OS for a long time?

Good luck,

Dark

Forgot about that option.

Try switching to a differenet video card, then see if the problem still persists.
    =

Yeh overheating sounds like a good shot at it. How many processes u got runnin in the background? but ur computer should be fast enough for that to not affect it...why do u think its ur video card??? Could it be something else? Sound card maybe???

I had the same problem once....sometimes still have
    I just dont pay attention to it, after you restart it will be gone
    But that sound thing always happened on sims, so I think It's more up to the games

Oh btw are the games downloaded or did you buy them? If downloaded they might be corupted somewhere and that may cause the sound.

it could be your video card since the one you got has a heatsink and fan. My bro in law have the same problem as you but he fixed it. I'm gonna ask him what he did then i'll pm you tomorrow.

StealthThunder......what OS are you running ? If it is XP....the drivers for Nvidia don't work with games.

Download the latest driver from Nvidia.com

Some Solutions

One thing that you might want to check out is not using the crappy nVidia WHQL drivers. Go check out www.guru3d.com and download the 44.67 drivers for XP or 2000 (if XP or 2000 happens to be your OS). Also go to Windows Update (open Internet Explorer and select the Tools menu at the top then click on Windows Update) and download the latest version of DirectX (9.0b <- was recently released withing the past 2 weeks) or if you don't want to go to Windows Update here is a link for the redistributable version of the newest DirectX:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...90b_redist.exe

Also, there are quite a few known problems with Creative SoundBlaster Live! and other Creative products. I recommend going to http://www.americas.creative.com/support/ and downloading and installing any driver updates for your sound card. Anyway hope that helps. I'm a fellow gamer and I've encountered many problems and more often than not this will fix your problem. If your still having problems PM me and I'll help as much as I can.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.