Thread: Something I noticed...

Question Something I noticed...

Anyone else notice just how loosely the term "terrorist" is being thrown around these days?? Prior to 9/11, it seemed like "terrorist" was used to describe someone who was intent on killing, and attempts to kill mass quantities of people, usually with explosive devices of some sort. But now, the word is popping up in many places it never has before. The most disturbing instance of this so far was when I was flipping through "Network Security for Dummies" (I was bored) at a Barnes and Noble recently. The author used the term "computer terrorist" (or something to that effect...terrorist was definately in there) and a bunch of other not nice terms to define hackers. This made me cringe, and I quickly put the book down. But is it just me, or is this kind of liberal use of the word "terrorist" actually happening?? If it is, it's outta hand. It's probably not too far off that the local paper boy kid who constantly roofs the newspapers is labeled a "neighborhood terrorist" or something equally off the wall.

Sorry for the rant, but wanted to get this thought out there anyway...

alpha03

Banned
    I've actually seen that in books written prior to 9/11 and never thought much of it... if it gets you mad, write the author and jump all over his ass for mis-labeling tech-savy people...

jag291

You know...today when I hear the word terroris I think about 9/11.
    Dont know maybe It's just me or somethin...

I was really using the hacker/computer terrorist thing as an example of the more loose use of "terrorist". I hadn't seen that description before. You're right, maybe I should go and bitch to the author... :-)

Anyway, to me, it just seemed like anyone can be labeled a "terrorist" now, as opposed to just the extremists we're used to thinking about as such. That's all I was trying to get across. But maybe this thread should just die...

I would like to join in on your rant. I get really offended when they call hackers "cyberterrorists". I mean i still consider myself a newbie but I'm in the same crowd.

When they compare us to mass murderers I get kinda pissed off and just feelin like goin to those guys and saying "do i look like a terrorist to you?". And let them know how arrogant they are.

Are we supporting terrorists by downloading MP3s and "hacking" whatever you think that is? How about the oil companys buying thousands and thousands of dollars worht of oil from the middle-east, the focus of Mr. Bushes war against terrorism. If anyones a terrorist it's the oil companys.

In another perspective George W. could be considered a terrorist if that word describes mass murder of innocent women and children.

Every once in a while you gotta take a self evaluation and find out what you really are, what you contribute to and if its positive or negative. And ya. If you neg me ur a terrorist . Just kiddin guys

Whatya think o' that rant
    No place like 127.0.0.1