Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Restarts Randomly

Unhappy Computer Restarts Randomly

Computer Specs:
    GA-7VAX Motherboard
    512 DDR Ram
    AMD XP 2100+ Processor
    Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4600

My computer restarts randomly. It is a dual boot system with Win2kPro and Mandrake9.0

Sometimes the computer restarts before is has completed POSTing so it must be a hardware problem. I have an Antec 400 watt power supply so the power should not be an issue except that the motherboard power connector seems a bit loose. Could this cause the computer to restart and the speaker to make a short *thok* noise? It began restarting for no reason a short time ago, but sometimes it will run and have no problem for a few days and then start having the problem again. I have checked all plugs and fastenings and all seem to be tight. I move it a fair bit so something may have been bumped and is making intermittent contact.
    Any ideas?
    Thx

Old Fart
    you might be having a heat issue.....I had the same problem at one time and solved it by cleaning my processor fan and giving it a fresh coat of thermal grease. Also make sure that your RAM is well seated, a couple of buddies have seen the same issue and solved it that way.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I remember one guy solved his heat issue by removing the cover from his computer and setting up a box fan next to it....

sounds like a heat issue but i'll try keezel recomendation and observ if it works, if it does another fan will make the trick, or check that is located in a well ventilated place but also i have a thing in my mind that said check your power supply as a second choice.
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

I have two fans in my power supply, a ThermalTake Volcano 7 fan on my processor, one fan on the northbridge chipset, two fans on the video card and a 90 mm case fan. Also, I just took apart my entire computer and put it back together, put thermal grease on fan. And it still restarts, although right now it seems to be working fine. As to heat, it restarted when both sides of the case were off and the door was open. I live in Northern California, so I am not thinking it is too hot.

Thx for the ideas.
    ERROR: No Keyboard Detected
    Press F1 to continue....

I have had the same problem myself, as keezel said, use a fan. I booted up when it kept screwing up, shut down, hand-checked everything for overheatig, then took off my case and booted up with a fan blowing on it. After that everything worked fine. Also try cleaning everything off with a dry cloth.
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

One way to dermine whether it's a heat issue for certain, would be to check your temps. Use a program like Aida32. It's got great diagnostic tools.

If your issue is not heat related, then it does sound like a power issue. Even when my PC reboots due to heat, there's no noise coming from the speakers, but whenever I've had a power supply issue, there's a distinct crackle. (I've gone through two power supplies on this pc alone, one for a recall from Sony, and one for my stupitidty.)

Good luck

Corn

Re: Computer Restarts Randomly

Originally posted here by .Sy.
    Computer Specs:
    GA-7VAX Motherboard
    512 DDR Ram
    AMD XP 2100+ Processor
    Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4600

My computer restarts randomly. It is a dual boot system with Win2kPro and Mandrake9.0

Sometimes the computer restarts before is has completed POSTing so it must be a hardware problem. I have an Antec 400 watt power supply so the power should not be an issue except that the motherboard power connector seems a bit loose. Could this cause the computer to restart and the speaker to make a short *thok* noise? It began restarting for no reason a short time ago, but sometimes it will run and have no problem for a few days and then start having the problem again. I have checked all plugs and fastenings and all seem to be tight. I move it a fair bit so something may have been bumped and is making intermittent contact.
    Any ideas?
    Thx

Have you been overclocking the computer?

does sounds very much like overheating,

although does it only do this when booting into linux?? or is it both windows and linux that do this?

another thing to check is the actual reset switch, sometimes they can become jammed and with slight movements they can operate the reset, basically id try removing the reset switch pull it out of the MB, and if the problem continues to happen its not the reset switch :-)

i2c

Sometimes the computer restarts before is has completed POSTing so it must be a hardware problem.
    I agree it is hardware.. with the fail during POST.. was this a cold start or was this during a string of restarts?
    Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4600
    I had a similar prob (restarting randomly that is) the problem after much grief was the video card a Leadtek Ti4200.. now here is the crunch.. I had to Clean install WinXP when ever a new card, other than the leadtek, was installed .. and when another Leadtek card was installed we had to load the current nVidia drivers then the leadtek drivers EVERY TIME.
    When when we disable the reboot option so we atleast got a BSOB it would still restart by itself 40% of the time..
    As for the over heating point that has been raised.. as the problem is intermittant.. run the Hardware monitoring prog that comes with the Motherboard.. it is the same prog as used by most of the Gigabyte mobo's .. Run it.. it gives you the CPU and System temperatures.. Panic if the CPU is running over 70deg Celcius.. smile if it is less than 50.. (dunno the c-f conversion any more)..
    I like the thoughts of i2c .. some cases are prone to sticky Reset switches....
    Another option is your PSU could have a intermittent fault.. ie it is shutting down on its own.. try another PSU?
    But answer my first question and we will see how we go..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr