Thread: Ad-Aware Update Alert!

Ad-Aware Update Alert!

Hi Folks......not sure if this is the right forum for this one.

I tried to update my Ad-aware reference file using the application's automatic update facility. It told me that there was no update available.................THIS WAS NOT TRUE!

AAW 6.0 is now at build 181, and all previous builds (mine was 162) and reference files are unsupported. You have to update to build 181 (either by downloading the whole app. or just the core) then run the autoupdate, and it will find the latest reference file for you, which is 01R206 dated 08.08.2003

I guess it was my fault for not paying attention, but I did not get a clear message that I HAD to update the application, or that my version was obsolete. I feel that the auto-update message might lull some people into a false sense of security, as it nearly did with me .

BTW I think it is a great app.

Cheers

Regal Making Handler
    Thanks for that mate. I need to update my version.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks for the info. I upadted mine & my wife's computers.
    When I ran the old AdAware 6.0 on her machine, I would expect 15-20
    pieces of spyware a week. The new version picked over 100 of them,
    including 2 Comet Cursor reg keys, which the old ver missed.

How do you manage to" pick up" over a 100 pieces of spyware a week??????

bongpilot: How do you manage to" pick up" over a 100 pieces of spyware a week??????
    You'd be suprised how much adware can accumulate on your hard drive, especially if you're an avid Internet user.

Personally, I try Spybot Search & Destroy; its totally free, and has the option to "patch up" ad- vulnerabilities.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

As a private user I run both SpyBot and AdAware................if you do this, do not be surprised if AAW complains about stuff that SpyBot has quarantined. It is worth running both as they do find different things.

As for detection volumes, If you run a lot on the net with cookies enabled, medium or low security, no firewall etc. I guess you could pick up 100 items in a day!...remember that cookies get counted.

I have written a couple of Tuts regarding defensive strategies that suggest some software that might help. Winpatrol is a nice one.

With the "new" AAW6 I got 2 hits that the previous version and SpyBot did not detect.

Cheers

Thank You very for this information.... very helpful

Originally posted here by bongpilot
    How do you manage to" pick up" over a 100 pieces of spyware a week??????
    There were a couple of old registry entries from Comet Cursor as well as an 2 Identifiers from Win Med Player. Can't foget lots of cookies from iwon, plus 2 gifts from Red Sheriff, and much, much more.

If I had to guess, lots of material was identified as being spyware that wasn't so classified by the older version.

BTW, when I checked her PC once, there were around 135 pieces of spyware on her PC.
    Seems that one of her friends advised her to install Gator............

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    AdAware will call a cookie spyware. If you flush your cookies on a regular basis, AdAware won't pick up so much "spyware".
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Thanks for the heads up did a manual update only nailed one but it was one bad guy Bright Digital..,orons they are! LOL
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg