Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can windows 98 run in a 200 MHZ box?

Can windows 98 run in a 200 MHZ box?

I'm installing windows 98 in a 200 mhz computer and its giving me a lot of crap about drivers and stuff...I'm wondering if windows 98 was even meant to be running in a 200 mhz comp...please shed some light into this.

yeah, should run ok.. if you have 32meg of mem..

I ran 98se on a 75mhz laptop for a while

Re: Can windows 98 run in a 200 MHZ box?

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    I'm installing windows 98 in a 200 mhz computer and its giving me a lot of crap about drivers and stuff...I'm wondering if windows 98 was even meant to be running in a 200 mhz comp...please shed some light into this.
    I'm running windows 2000 in a 133 mhz so 98 should work in a 200 mhz...

In theory WIN98 should run quite happily. I currently have 98se running on a Digital Venturis FX5133 which has a P1/133MHz processor.

On the other hand I was completely unable to load straight WIN98 on the same box.............it just froze about 12 minutes from the end

I also have Win98 (first edition) running on aPackard Bell P1/150MHz quite happily.

98se even runs quite nicely on a friend's P1/133 with only 16Mb of RAM.................yes I am serious about that!

As I have a fair collection of "antique" boxes I can probably help you here, but I really need to know all the hardware details, and which 98 it is that you are running.

When it comes to driver problems I have had more problems with Me. You say a 200Mhz, but not if it is P1,or P2...I am not sure but I think that both exist at 200MHz?...my real question is probably "does it support MMX technology"

Can you give me more details about the problems you are getting..error messages etc?

cheers

200 Mhz might even be a 486. I believe the min. requirments are 486/66 w/16 Meg RAM. I had 98 running on a 386 w/80387 co-processor and 16meg. This is a truely multi-tasking system. that is youd better have something else to do while your using it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Same as nihil I am also running Windows 98 SE on a 133MHz pentium, with 32MB RAM, this is infact my only computer and its been like this for 3 years.

If its drivers problems I would imagine this has to do with hardware incompatibilities, though 98 has terific hardware suport.

Kwiep
    Maybe he isn' talking about the minimum requirements, but about the maximum ... Heh, that sounds rather stupid, but I doubt windows 98 will run on a pentium 4 at full capacity, because it wasn't programmed for that architecture. Same with new hardware and the like. I have windows 98 on a 250 or something but the cpu probably isn't the problem. I think the problem is with the hardware wich can work with windows 98 very well, but is build later then windows 98. For all those things you need drivers. You can probably find most on the internet and maybe you even got some driver cd's .
    Double Dutch

98 can run on a 200 meg. I had one set up with 98 on it. The only thing I can't tell you is whether it will do a direct install because my machine had win 95 on it and I ran the upgrade to 98. If nothing else, you could go this same route.
    L

Hardware Requirements for Windows 98 are as follows:

HD-120MB of free HD space
    A new install can require up to 355MB
    You need to have room on your HD for swap space

Processor 486DX/66 MHz (min)
    Processor Pentium or higher (recommended)

Memory 16MB (min)
    Memory More improves speed

Hope this helps.

DarkCarniv0l
    \"The Only Kind Of Good Clown.... Is A Clown Gone Bad\"

Thank you very much ...some company donated about 20 Pentium 1/200 mhz gateway 2000 comps to a church i'm helping out but I guess they really messed up on deleting the stuff. I installed windows 98 but it wasn't reading many of the drivers off the CD and when I manually tried to browse for them in the CD...the comp would always crash "Blue screen" and cause a run32.dll illegal operation. Also, one thing that I thought was odd is that when i was in M$ DOS, it was reading programs in drive A:/. Isn't drive A: for floppy only? There was no floppy inserted in the drive but it was still reading programs in there such as fdisk when I did a dir/w. Any ideas?