Thread: Portscan on LAN doesn't work anymore! HELP!

Portscan on LAN doesn't work anymore! HELP!

Please guys, please help me.

I have 2 computers. I'll describe a problem:

When i portscan from comp2 to comp1 he can't find any open ports! This is not good, because there are several ports open on comp1.
    WHen i portscan from comp1 to comp2, he finds open ports. Is this strange? What's wrong? There is no firewall on both computers...

Have you tried pinging? Is there even connectivity? Are you sure there's no firewall in between the two computers? (I.e., are they plugged into the same hub/switch, and if it's a switch, is it nice and stupid or does it have VLANs in it?)

They both reply on the ping command.

There's no hub or switch between the computers

It's a gas!
    You could try scanning comp1 from a machine not on your network to see what results this would give.

What are you using to scan the comps?

Connectivity

Are you running Netware on any or both the PCs? You cannot use TCP/IP scanners on an IPX/SPX network

Are you running Netware on any or both the PCs? You cannot use TCP/IP scanners on an IPX/SPX network

No.

In the past it was working.

I multi boot on comp2, when i start linux i can portscan comp1, when i start Windows XP, i can also portscan comp1. He finds open ports!
    That's what i want.

It's clear for me that TCP/IP is not working correctly, but reinstalling didn't help

What to do?

Mosselmaniac, I don't know if this is the case but if you are using Windows XP, I do know that they have a built in firewall that runs as part of the OS. This may or may not be the problem but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

To Remove:

Go to LAN properties, then click advanced, then uncheck the box that has it enabled and hope it works.

Hope this helps...

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...