Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *how To Protect Yourself From Wardriving*

*how To Protect Yourself From Wardriving*

I'm writting this post to hopefully clarify the thin line between how to wardrive and how to protect yourself from wardrivers. Its not really hard its just a few basic steps which would help prevent wardrivers from entering your network and potentially causing damage. Remember, in the computer world the only way to be completely safe from hackers...etc, is to be offline. (Kinda like abstinence LOL). BTW, in no way i'm trying to flame plastic with this post.

1. Change default settings on computer so it's tougher for war drivers to figure out access passwords. Also change your password every so often and make sure its NOT a word found in the dictionary by capitalizing some letters and adding numbers to the end (No adding a 1 after your passoword does not count as a tough password...lol)

2.Turn on the WEP system that comes standard with wireless equipment, or buy a WEP if you don't have one. WEP encryption can be compromised, but it takes time and expertise to do it.

3. Set up an access control list so only pre-approved computers can access your network. That can be done by providing a key to each computer from your router.

4. Make sure your older computer has the latest protection software. That includes antivirus/trojan/spyware removers.

How about setting your AP not to broadcast it's SSID....I feel like that is the most important one and it wasn't mentioned in either your or Plastik's posts.

That works too . thanx for your contribution. Any other contributions are welcomed so we could perhaps turn this security post into a tut

You can also do MAC address limiting... thus only allowing your specified computers to access it.

To tell you the truth you can't prevent wardriving. You might make it harder for someone to get access to an AP but it is not impossible. I have set No Broadcast for SSID, WEP encryption, and MAC address filtering. I was able to get onto my network when I tried to hack myself anyway. Had my laptop sitting there for a while running airsnort. I agree with a statement that says how to make it harder for people to get onto your AP. I don't agree with a statement that says this will STOP someone from accessing your AP.

Well nobody's saying it will stop it... but definately prevent it. I mean, if you see a 03' Dodge Viper that's locked w/ a heavy security systemin a parking lot, and a 99' mustang with it's doors unlocked... and you want to steal one, which are you gonna choose? the more preventative measures, the better.

and yea, AirSnort... definately kicks WEP's ass, lol

I was just adding my opinion so someone doesn't come along and say I got hacked but I did everything I read in this tutorial thus having a false sense of security. Yes it helps like I said I agree with that statement. It is important to know that it is still not too uncommon to have wired equivalent privacy in place and still have someone come onto your AP.

If you're really worried about getting hacked...then buy products with WEP2, which has 128 bit keys and IV (initializations vectors). Normal WEP uses short (24-bit) IVs and and static keys. The short IVs (more than anything ) make it easy to gain multiple instances (of the same IV) after an hour or two of sampling, and crack the key.

well honestly... where we stand right now, the best form of protection for wireless networks is not to have one in the first place, lol

I concur!