Wireless RedHat

Thread: Wireless RedHat

Cool Wireless RedHat

My family got this wireless internet thing and i wondered if there was any easy way to hook my wireless internet card up to a red hat system. I don't have any software for linux for this purpose (unless theres somthing built in), but don't make me stick with windows...
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    We'll need the following for openers:

1) Type of wireless card (make, model, interface type)
    2) Version of RedHat

Once we have this info then we can provide you with better information on the process.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

It's a gas!
    RH7.3 and above have decent wireless support but as TH13 said we WILL need the make and model of the card to help!

Banned
    As a note I believe that if you have a Verizon card then you are SOL becasuse it only comes compatible for Windows.

But I have to check I run RH 9.0 but I haven't tried my VERIZON card on it yet.

Mr. Jizzels

ya, um, im not sure what verson of redhat im gonna get, probubly redhat 9, but im running windows right now... and i have an instant wireless card
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

i'll tell ya what makes me irate... the Dell Broadcom TrueMobile wireless cards DO NOT have any linux drivers... Broadcom refuses to make them! Sucks for me and my dell

The Iceman Cometh
    The Dell Broadcom TrueMobile wireless cards DO NOT have any linux driver
    I have a Latitude X200 running Red Hat 9.0 (I previously had 7.3 as well as 8.0 on it) and I have absolutely no problems with my TrueMobile wireless NIC. I don't have it on me right now, but if I remember right, I just used a generic driver. Just go to Google, type in your Dell model number and "Red Hat Linux" and you'll find a bunch of sites which detail how to set up your Dell, including how to set up your wireless NIC.

AJ

hrmmm... TrueMobile 1300/1400?

The Iceman Cometh
    Right now, I'm running the TrueMobile 1150. Give me a few days for my new laptop to arrive and I'll let you know how to get the 1400 working on Red Hat 9.0. I don't think there'll be any problem with generic drivers, but if that doesn't work, I'll get you the info you need to get it working.

AJ

Edit: By the way, if you really need support for a specific network adapter under Linux, you could always install it on top of Windows as a guest OS using VMware, and it'll bridge the Windows network adapter so you can access any network resources you need in Linux.