Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: General Wardriving Tutorial

everyones getting wrapped in up morals. this tutorial doesnt apply to non windows users, netstumbler only works with winblows.. someone mentioned linksys? netstumbler isnt compatible.

I am just after reading the tutorial and all the posts that came with it. Seeing the date of the first post I know this might be a bit late to post. In any case I just wanted to give my humble opinion on the subject.
    Firstly while the tutorial is written in a tongue in cheek style the most important information is present. It is true I would have preferred a more detailed tutorial. There are some important points missing from the original post but they are, in most cases, treated in the following posts. One point I didn¡¦t and I know it was quite common before is when wardrivers tag the networks they find. That is they chalk a symbol on the side of the building where they found the wan. I used to have an article, written in the general press, which gave the list of symbols and their meaning. This can be useful for the network admin as that new graffiti on the wall the building might just be giving out some important information about his network. Plastic is probably lucky he didn¡¦t include this information as he probably would then have been negged right of the planetƒ¼. I am sure that this information is readily available on all the other sites out there.
    Now to the debate. Is the thread valid? Even though it doesn¡¦t conform to my personnel tastes I would have to say yes. I feel that the problem arises more from form rather than content. Even in the short time I have been a member it has been made clear that this is not a forum for lamers, script kiddies, etc. Anyone one who takes the time to prepare a tutorial does so with this in mind. They know that the people reading their work are looking for a serious and mature post. Tooting your own horn just doesn¡¦t cut it. The members of antionline are multinational, multicultural and to make matters worst most even have their own personality. I suppose this isn¡¦t the first time and wont be the last time there is such a problem.

Hello, I didn't read ALL the replys so i hope i don't repeat something...
    First, there's nothing wrong with the tutorial.
    Second: for securing the wireless: wep's 64bit key is ridiculous, 128bit key is breakable in a couple of hours (or in a day if very low traffic)
    Third: ever heard about warchalking?
    The following statement is correct.
    The previous statement is false.

Banned
    Originally posted by drunkenmath
    everyones getting wrapped in up morals. this tutorial doesnt apply to non windows users, netstumbler only works with winblows.. someone mentioned linksys? netstumbler isnt compatible.
    Sure it is... I have a Linksys Instant Wireless Network Card, and a Linksys wireless router. Netstumbler works fine with the Linksys card, and has no problems picking up the router.

Is it not best to have the Computer that your using for your war driving project to be set up as a DHCP server and adding a spot of DNS Highjacking so you can snoop?

"okay... I'm sorry that you guys don't understand that wardriving is the DETECTION of networks, not stealing bandwith. It's NOT illegal until you connect."

Question is though, why miss out the fun bit?

Why would you want to park beside a building, you know full well that signals are going to spill outside the building, so why would you want to just find it?

why would you not set up your portable, as DHCP running netstumbler or whatever attempt to highjack the DNS and snoop the network its only if you destroy or alter data on the network that you are breaking the law is it not?

I don't understand the law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wasn't me it was spoofed

i feel this tut is written from a crackers point of view and therefor could be more usefull with a "how to protect" section but i found it very usefull. I am about to setup a wireless network and this post made me do the research. If plastic hadnt brought this subject up then im sure many people on AO may not have heard of it.

Thanks paranoid_sonic
    thats the term I was looking for Warchalking. The pratice of chalking symbols that give information on your wireless network on the outiside of your building. For more information try this site http://www.warchalking.org/
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Why would you want to park beside a building, you know full well that signals are going to spill outside the building, so why would you want to just find it?

why would you not set up your portable, as DHCP running netstumbler or whatever attempt to highjack the DNS and snoop the network its only if you destroy or alter data on the network that you are breaking the law is it not?
    You don't break the law by searching networks, but you do if you sniff the network, log in unauthorized, do damage, make it temporarly unavailable (Denial-of-Servic), etc...

And for everyone who's planning to set up a wireless:
    I think i heard something about the wep2 protocol to secure the waves. The key would be (i think) twice as long as the wep 128bit key and would be unbreakable for a lat's say 15 years...
    Except if you can CIA-computers
    The following statement is correct.
    The previous statement is false.

This is an excellent tutorial on Wardriving http://mryowler.cyberarmy.com/wirele...TDGTW-WarXing/