Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Wardriving Tutorial

well i'm glad at least one person has an open mind to things and can see it from the other side.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Network security is much like police work. We have to know the technical details of how illegal attempts to gain access are performed just like police need to know the specifics of how a con artist rips off a victim. We don't put police in jail for sharing this knowledge between different agencies even though the information is highly detailed and describes exactly how to carry out the con.

Personally, I welcome *any* well written tutorial. Slamming the guy because of the perceived intent of the tutorial is uncalled for and will ultimately end up hurting everyone here. Who is going to post a tutorial when they fear being flamed and/or negged?

My two cents.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    okay... I'm sorry that you guys don't understand that wardriving is the DETECTION of networks, not stealing bandwith. It's NOT illegal until you connect.
    <sarcastic> That's okay then.</sarcastic.>

I don't beleive that's all you are advocating here.

I usually go about 35-40mph until
    an AP shows up, then I slow down to about 15-20mph. This helps me
    pinpoint exactly which home/business is running the network.
    If you aren't going to actually hijack any of these networks why does it matter.

Be sure to save your .ns1 (NetStumbler) files, they contain lots
    of key information if you're ever to return to the network.
    Why do you need this info if all you are doing is detecting - It's so you can come back later & steal bandwidth isn't it.

Plastic, unless I'm very much mistaken, you were trying to boast & show off to us all what a clever war driver you are.

I, for one am less than impressed.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

thehorse13, I totally agree with you, but when there are too many people that post tutorials from the cracker's view this site is going to attract crackers/script kiddies.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I'm not posting this from the cracker's view... I am working with
    the University of Texas at San Antonio's CIS department on collecting
    data about wireless networks, and just how insecure they are... in
    order to distribute to owners and users or WiFi products. People need
    to know that they are insecure... we can't just sacrafice network integrity
    or security for convenience

He posting a tutorial on something illegal that cannot have any good intention. He is obviously not going to contact every home/business that he finds has an open WLAN. The idea behind this tutorial is wrong and illegal. Yes I agree with having to know the ways that crackers attack to defend networks, but there is no way that you can squeeze this through that door. This is like a tutorial on port scanning, let's go teach everyone how to scan a subnet for open ports 31337 or 6667. (But we would only be teaching them how to port scan to secure there network, because they need to learn how to scan an entire subnet to know how to protect themselves.)

Plastic > To your last post,

One thing plastic, I read the tutorial and am like sure I saw you post a tutorial just like this before but it was incomplete and you did.

Previous tutorial posted:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=246795

So why did you write a hold new tutorial on the same thing as posted as a new tutorial instead of editing your last tutorial posted.

Also reading the threads of his last tutorial I think you guys gave plastic a mind set that he should complete this tutorial and now he's being negged for doing it. I don't see why he should be negged unless you are claiming for negging him for posting the same tutorial twice.

Just my thought on things, even if this tutorial is a little bit inappropriate for this site.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

yes... i got negged out the rear for not completeing it, which was an accident at that... now I finish it, and get negged for the subject matter...

i am NOT a script kiddie... let me just make that clear *ahem*

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    thehorse13, I totally agree with you, but when there are too many people that post tutorials from the cracker's view this site is going to attract crackers/script kiddies.
    Looking at the history of this site, that's all that used to be here. It has evolved quite a bit over time but again, I'd rather have the information, no matter how it is presented, than not at all. You may also hear folks that have been here a long time say, "...the good old days of AO..." when posts like this along with scripts were available to all.

So why did you write a hold new tutorial on the same thing as posted as a new tutorial instead of editing your last tutorial posted.
    Yes, if you don't bother to check the current tutorials then you should expect to get negged. I bitch about that all the time myself.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I strongly agree with thehorse on this one. "To catch a thief, you have to think like one". If you want to stop a wardriver, you have to learn how its done in the first place. Same thing with hackers and crackers. You dont need to learn how to hack/crack but having a general knowledge of it would be very usefull to protect yourself. But as everything else, tuts like this have their own bad things such as attracting script kiddies as el-half mentioned above. But again, as thehorse said, better have some information no matter how its presented than no information at all.

peace