Interesting Perl,IIS, and MS Access combo question

Thread: Interesting Perl,IIS, and MS Access combo question

Interesting Perl,IIS, and MS Access combo question

I've got a customer who is interested in setting up a web-form that can modify an MS Access database (don't ask me why they want to use Access). Being mostly a Unix coder myself, I did some research on the feasibility of something like that and I ran across some documentation on setting up an ODBC hook for an Access database that can be accessed by Perl. Since this is all sitting on a Windows box, I've set up IIS (don't ask me why they wanted IIS, either) and Perl to play nice together, and I've set up this ODBC hook for the Access database I'll be connecting to, but now I'm worried about file integrity.

The Access database is sitting on the system with the IIS server, but this database is also used by a few people for various reports. What will happen when the website attempts to write to this database file when it's open in the Access GUI? Has anyone ever used Access in this client-server type arrangement? Is this scenario even feasible, or should I improve my powers of persuasion and nudge them toward a more stable database system capable of multiple connections (like MySQL)?
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

If they need that kind of functionality and insist on staying with M$ why not have them use SQLServer instead of Access? I thought M$ was generally moving away from Access and I really don't think they meant for it to serve that kind of a role...

From a security standpoint, it might be wiser to have your Database on a different server...that way when, not if, someone breaks into IIS, they won't have your DB too...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

You shouldn't have a problem unless you try to update the same record in the database with ODBC and the other app. I just spoke with a good VB/access programmer friend of mine and he said that when he is developing something in access that he will usually keep the database open in access so that he can view the records while his other processes are updating the table... You would, of course, want to make sure that you do not use any type of ODBC commands that would lock the entire tables. So you do have the be conscious of how you program the perl interface.

Cool. Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */