ICS vs. ?!?!?

Thread: ICS vs. ?!?!?

ICS vs. ?!?!?

Hi There

I'm connecting to the internet through at w2k-machine with a firewall installed.
    It's done with Internet Connection Sharing...

I've heard so many bad things about ICS, and i read that using ICS opens some ports:
    389 (ldap)
    1031/1032

These are open on my computer, but i've blocked them in my router (both in and out).

My question is: What other way is there to have several computers connect through one?
    Someone have said: Gateway or Proxy, but there must be both good and bad things about these too...
    I don't want to spend hour setting up the system, so i hoep someone here can give me a good hint and an idea of how to do it.

Thanks ....

Ture

What kind of Internet Access do you have? If you have broadband, you could buy a sharing device such as a Linksys NAT box. http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...cid=29&prid=20
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have a router and a switch, and i like the fact that the server can act as a firewall for all the computers behind it. That won't be the case, if i just plug all the computers into the switch and let the switch have the internet connection.

!?

This site:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
    contains info on both hardware and software based solutions. Since you know what you specifically want, it is best that you poke around yourself and find what you need. But do not hesitate to ask us any questions.
    Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

If you have a router then your best bet is to dump ICS and just connect throught the router.

If your router can act as a DHCP server then set it to act as one and set your WIN 2K machine to obtain an IP automatically (of course this is under then LAN connection). Then configure your router to connect to your DSL, or cable. Doing it this way will bring you more security, and it will also be more stable.

Heres how my router is set up, btw mine is a Linksys Befsr41 4 port Cable/DSL router.

I have three computers hooked to it right now. One running WIN 98, and the others XP.
    The Router is set to use PPPoE on my DSL connection, and it is also set to keep the connection active. My router will assign up to 50 IP's in the IP range of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254. My computers then receive the IP address from the router, and voilla there connected.
    =

But in that case all computers can be accessed directlky from the outside.
    And all computers will be very slow on bootup because of the ip-communication with the routers dhcp. It takes up to 20 secs more to boot.

And i don't see how it's more safe that way!?
    I have a computer that acts like a firewall for all traffic to and from the two workstations.

I was actually going to ask a similar question, because my ISP doesn't allow connections thru ICS, the computers on my end are configured to obtain an IP automatically, but the DHCP server on the other end only assigns a certain number of IPs to my network (however many you pay for), the thing is, I have more than one computer, not counting when my friends bring theirs over, can I set up my computer to supply internet service to them without using ICS or calling up my isp and paying an extra 7 bucks a month for a computer that will be online for 4 hours max?
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Take a look at this:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/multiip.htm

Isn't that waht you mean? That is not safer than the method showed at the bottom of the page (whicj is the way i connect to the internet)

Sorry about that. What i just wrote is not true.
    My setup is not like the one at the bottom.
    My server has 2 nic's and i have a seperate LAN:

ISP <-> Router <-> Server <-> Switch <-> computer 1 / computer 2

well, i actually checked with a friend with the same ISP and he says to use a router. The router is assigned the only IP from the ISP's DHCP server, and then distributes Internet connectivity to the others attached to it.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

You might want to consider getting yourself a Netscreen Firewall I believe its the 5 model for about $200-300 dollars give or take off ebay.. see link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11175

(not promoting my products in anyway. These firewalls are the kinds used in corporate environments.)

Awasome firewall that provides all features you need. Can act as a DHCP client for outside and provide you with PAT for internal users..Also provide VPN tunneling (IPSEC).

ICS from my personal experience is garbage..Craps out most of the time and I believe port
    1002 is ICS, Also with ICS DNS/53 and DHCP are turned on for internal devices..

I wouldnt rely on anything Microsoft develops especially when it comes to security...

Just an opinion....

P.S.
    It also Looks real good on your resume having configured and supported a real Firewall...
    Not off the shelve 3rd rate products...

I stand corrected, they are cheaper now, youcan buy for about$100,,,