Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RPC/DCOM/mblast.exe thread discussions/notices

Thats rigth r8devil. And, when u reinstall u must be offline, because your system is vulnerable while is updating...

Well thanks dynamoo! After a year off and having a life outside a computer server room back into the fray no better place then here to catch up. Why a year think I was outsorced to India LOL no offense damn good coders there. Ok had like 600 hits on my home computer just today from this bugger. Good info from an old out of retirement fart like me ~~
    Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Exclamation

Blaster just upgraded to a Cat-4.. 08:50 UTC

Only panic if you don't have access to a clean, patched, firewalled system..

Follow removal instructions from Symantec
    This page includes links to download a removal tool, and the Patch..

NOTE: Follow the Bloody Instructions especially the step about disabling the system Restore.. If you don't do this it will come back.. and follow the instructions

Read instructions on how to remove the W32/Blaster-A worm and ensure your system is not vulnerable to reinfection.
    If you don't like Symantec (Norton) you could try Sophos for instructions ..
    Or try the info from McAfee (Lovesan=MSBlaster) ..Also info from F-Prot ..And Bitdefender ..And Authentium (aka Command.com AV) .. Oh and Panda .. Oh and TrendMicro .. And Leprechaun .. M$'s RAV .. I hope you don't need help from Kaspersky ..

I think you get the hint.. Clean/Patched/Firewalled(port135, 4444 and all other un-need ports Blocked) Machine.. to get the info, tools and patches.. and follow the instructions..

Cheers

BTW: Dosen't anyone do some sort of a search b4 posting?.. the number of treads on different forums on this site, regarding this bug.. while some it is understandable they didnt know what was happening.. ..

Opps i think I have given out my secret for all the Heads Up warnings.. This Listing is just those who listed the Lovesan/MSBlaster worm in their warnings.. Noobs.. bookmark them....
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks man

But see that all the versions of windows and windows server are vulnerable including your Windows 2003 Server!!!.

Originally posted here by warl0ck7
    Thanks man

But see that all the versions of windows and windows server are vulnerable including your Windows 2003 Server!!!.

Just to clarify here, not ALL versions of Windows are vulnerable, Win 98 and back is not vulnerable to my knowledge. The vulnerable versions are Win NT and up, which yes, does include 2003 Server. This is why this worm has the potential to infect a large number of machines, because the vulnerability encompasses so many machines.

EDIT: As steve.milner has pointed out below, ME is not affected by this vulnerability either. Thanks steve...

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Windows Me is reportedly not vunerable either:

Affected Systems Unpatched:

Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Not MY Windows 2003 Server, mine was patched and firewalled .. and waiting for the next attack..
    Only problem our system has, M$ has no security patch for id10t users.

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AlertCon was raised to level 3.

https://gtoc.iss.net/issEn/delivery/gtoc/index.jsp
    ISS you are the besthttp://www.issadvisor.com/images/personal/pisson.gifbecause you piss on the rest

[gloworange]www.issadvisor.com [/gloworange]

Please note;
    <quote>FPL has identified a potential cyber threat, a worm that is currently "in
    the wild", named either W32.BLASTER.Worm, or W32LOVESAN, and IMMEDIATE
    ACTION IS NEEDED. PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY.

For any FPL Workstation or Laptop - Important - Do Not Connect to the
    Internet from Outside the FPL Network
    If you have an FPL workstation or laptop at home, do not connect to
    the internet via a high speed connection (DSL, cable, etc) or a
    dial-up Internet Service Provider.

For any FPL workstations or laptops at home or in the office:

If you unexpectedly received an "RPC Service Failed" message, and
    your workstation/laptop rebooted or went to a Blue Screen of Death
    (Blue Screen with error message)
    Please call the IMSC immediately (N/A|DA) to report the
    problem.

For employee owned personal workstations or laptops:

We strongly recommend that you follow the instructions at the link
    provided below to install the appropriate patch. If you have already
    applied the patch, the installation process will alert you.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-026.asp

Symantec has advised us that virus definitions to protect against
    this exploit will be available tonight at 9:00 pm EDT.
    Please perform a Norton AntiVirus LiveUpdate in order to retrieve the
    current definitions. If you need assistance with updating the
    definitions please contact the IMSC (N/A|DA) and select option 9.</quote>

My sorces.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD