Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP=pain in the a@@

XP=pain in the a@@

hey someone help point me in the right direction. I'm on XP now. And I cant get to my BIOS/CMOS nor can I get into DOS mode.
    except in start/programs/accessories/command prompt. but thats just that little window deal and it doesnt let you do anything.

what in the heck do I do. XP should have came with a damn manual.

haha xp sucks
    Im here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.... and imall out of bubblegum

Actually XP does come with a manual, at least if you buy it. However with pirated versions you get what you pay for

Anyways.... XP doesn't come with shutdown to MS DOS mode, just as Win NT and 2K didn't. This is because it is it's own operating system, without DOS. They feel you shouldn't need it. Now you can make a DOS boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), however if you have NTFS drives you won't beable to access them from DOS anyways, so you'll need NTFSDOS which has a freeware version that is read only, and a Pro version which is read/write but costs you a good chunk of cash.

As far as accessing your BIOS. That has nothing to do with your operating system. The choice to access your BIOS comes up before the computer even thinks about loading your OS. You would still access your BIOS in the same way you did before, usually DEL, ESC or one of the F Keys..

[EDIT]

Originally posted here by <INSERT HERE>
    haha xp sucks
    How about justifying that, otherwise shut the ***** up because you really have no clue what you are talking about.... Damn n00bs

[/EDIT]

Banned
    It did.. its called Help and Support and it does a damn good job answering my questions...!

Can anyone say DOS startup disk?

To create an MS-DOS startup disk
    The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.
    Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
    On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
    Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
    Click Start.
    Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.
    Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.
    jag291

Damn you HT.. this is the second time we've posted so close to each other.. you got the answer too..

I think you're stalkin me jag...

Banned
    Point being...?

Just kidding.. cheers!

jag291

Sometimes Bios can be tricky to get into. I have an older p2 computer that does not tell you when or what to hit on startup to get into the bios. Turns out you had to hit CTRL ALT ESC at the same time to get in. Best bet would be to look up your computer model online or bios version that scrolls on startup.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Am I, like, the only person who actually reads the doccumentation that comes with the computer? Most questions like this can be answered by browsing through all that paper that comes in the box.

Also, flame away if you feel like it, but I like XP. Not as much as I like my Red Hat box, but the one with XP on it works pretty damn well too. It's a hell of a lot better than ME at any rate.

EDIT: And the command prompt has an awful lot of versitility, if you just take the time to learn how it works and what it does.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

Some manufacturers deliberately keek information on the BIOS away from users..

Access to BIOS setup is usually independendent of the OS.. though you can get prog to modify.. note also not a true function of the OS..

If you have a HP/Compaq, IBM .. the Del key won't get you into the BIOS Setup.. try F10, or F2..**** for that matter if neither of them work try the whole keyboard (sry last part attempted humour)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Question thanks

thanks, I made a boot disk and was able to get into dos. but then the commands I was throwing at it werent working any who!! ex. I was trying to find a file called logo.sys actually its c:\logo.sys
    I was told to type c:\>attrib *.sys but it didnt work, I guess that only worked for win98 and lower????
    and now I have a new ? but should I ask it here, or in a new post. I dont want to become the only person asking questions.

here it is.
    in windows...you have regedit. you can get to it by clicking start/run then typing regedit, but it opens, and you see the window for a few secs, then it closes. so i went to mycomputer/c:/windows/regedit and it opens and same thing. HOW IN THE HECK DO I KEEP IT OPEN??? c'mon guys, I know you all are way smarter than me so lets see what you got.