Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netstat question

Netstat question

I was just wondering, is there any possible way to get my computer to alert me of a new IP connection or when it is opening a new port i know you can see it all through netstat but is there a trigger i can set up to alert me if a foriegn ip address connects?

Are you running a firewall? You could probably do it with your firewall...
    - Maverick

nope sorry no Firewall

You can try zonealarm www.zonealarm.com it is free and easy to use and you should run a firewall for a bit more security
    or even this one http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.html

Ah I see - as DeadAddict has stated, you most certainly need to be running a firewall of some sort - at a minimum a software firewall. There are plenty of free software firewalls out there that do a very nice job of protecting your system. For more information regarding firewalls, take a quick search of the forums here, you'll find a wealth of information.

Once you get a firewall installed and working correctly, you should be able to configure it to alert you when connections are trying to be established..
    - Maverick

Kiaro you can use fiewall as what the others told thers sza lot of free firewall on the net there you can see all D ports running and the ip that is connected in you computer

You could use TPF - it will give you a pop-up whenever a port is connected to. Grab ver2 if you are going to use

Netstat question

In addition to the replies for using a software/hardware firewall you can also use FPort from Foundstone. Great tool that will tell you what app has called which port and where it is connected to.

Don' t know about getting a pop-up alert but you can definitely set your firewall to log specific events.
    Where\'s the ka-booom?
    There was supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-booom!

In addition to the other replies...You should definately run a software firewall of some kind. Also, I would strongly suggest using hardware firewall as well. If you have DSL/Cable, i would use a router. I recommend D-link or linksys. You can get a good for $40-60.
    Learning more about myself and my capabilities everyday. Im getting faster and stronger and Im learning more about my opponents. Hope you\'re ready for the showdown. [blur]L0ST BOY[/blur]