how do i install a 2nd windows(98)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i install a 2nd windows(98)

how do i install a 2nd windows(98)

im on xp but its unbearable can some1 tell me how to put two windows on one box i have the windows 98 cd but it doesnt let me install cause xp says its an older OS

Yea, here's one way:

1. format your 'puter
    2. partition the hard drive into 2 partitions
    3. re-install windows XP on one
    4. install windows 9x on the other

you'll have to back everything up, but this is definately one possible solution

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: how do i install a 2nd windows(98)

Originally posted here by encryptedbit
    im on xp but its unbearable can some1 tell me how to put two windows on one box i have the windows 98 cd but it doesnt let me install cause xp says its an older OS
    An option, that would avoid additional partitions or the necessity of uninstalling / reinstalling a main O/S, would be to use either , Connectix Virtual PC, or VMware and install your Win98 as a guest O/S

http://www.connectix.com/index_win.html
    Virtual PC for Windows 5 is a powerful software virtualization solution that allows you to run multiple PC-based operating systems and applications on a single workstation resulting in reduced hardware costs and improved productivity.
    http://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_home.html
    Give Rebooting the Boot With VMware Workstation 4
    Run multiple operating systems -- Windows, Linux, NetWare -- simultaneously on a single PC
    Develop, test, and deploy multi-tier apps on one box
    Shorten development cycles and increase hardware utilization

What you have to do is set your bios so you can boot from the windows 98 cd. Then after you go through some steps it should ask you where you want to put the OS. It should look like this
    ----------------------------
    XP Partition
    Empty Space
    Empty Space
    ----------------------------
    Put 98 on an unused partition space. Make sure you defragment before you partition , just in case...
    The installation should run pretty smoothly...
    Good Luck...
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

yea... let me stress his step to defragment! DEFRAGMENT first!! lol

The Iceman Cometh
    1. format your 'puter
    2. partition the hard drive into 2 partitions
    3. re-install windows XP on one
    4. install windows 9x on the other
    Actually, in order for this to work, you actually have to install Windows 98 first. Windows 98 requires that system files are installed to the root drive. In order to do so, you have to run format /s Running this with Windows XP will wipe your XP installation...

AJ

format ur puter' with fat32

install 1st the xp den the 98 or vice versa

that's all

or

format 2 partition 1 partition is for xp

and the other

1 is for 98 if u want a ntfs file system for xp...

98 first

avdven is right .

You need to install windows 98 first then windows XP.When Installing windows XP, you'll be given a choice of which partition .(Make sure you have at least two partitions).

*If you install 98 second, it will wont install.Also make sure both operating systems are installed on different partition.

Good luck

Dr_Evil

If you have no reason for needing NTFS, your best bet is to use one or more FAT32 partitions, which AFAIK win98 and winXP can both use. Then you can access all files from both.

But if you're on NTFS now, you will need to reformat (unless you can use a partition splitter like partition magic)

Slarty

Try this link for size: http://www.blkviper.com/Articles/OS/...multiboot1.htm

It's a pretty good description of a 'diy' solution (i.e. one that doesn't need any extra software, like Partition Magic), and is technically accurate as well. His point about the order in which you install your OSs is important - as avdven pointed out it won't work unless you install Win98 in the primary partition.

Other point to note is that it assumes you are starting from scratch, so you would need to back up your data first, as using fdisk to partition your hard drive will destroy your existing install of WinXP.