Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Nuker?

What is a Nuker?

This is probobly a stupid question, i just have heard this word so many times i have to know. What is a "nuker"? I have had a lot of people say really stupid stuff and then i correct them then they say "i will nuke you with my nuker" i'm thinking... What the hell? I have seen websites where you can download these things but i was just wondering... what exactly do they do?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It's a tool to deny the victim service. The most famous was WinNuke that gave a BSOD on the victim's machine causing it to need to be rebooted.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Re: What is a Nuker?

Originally posted here by a_person
    i will nuke you with my nuker

I can just imaging some little script kiddie sitting in his basement making threats like these..... Oooooo, I'm so scared!

Seriously though, Tiger is right, it's just a tool that causes some havoc if you are the victim. It's a skiddy tool...

Talking

Re: What is a nuker.

To my limited knowledge on Nukers.... Most I have run across enable the attacker to send mass packetts to a designated I.P addy.
    More and more proggies are showing up in Mirc war scripts which allow most users to ealy to easily nuke or mass packett send resulting in the victim beeing flooded offline.

Hopefully that helps.
    He||sFurY

P.S. Many wingaters or proxie programs or nuke detectors or misdiecrt pills for ctcp attackers allow the victim some protection from these script kiddie attacks....( theres also some retaliation scripts out there).

i also heard somewhere they they hardly ever work, is this true, if so i don't see why anyone(even a script kiddie) would have one.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    i also heard somewhere they they hardly ever work, is this true, if so i don't see why anyone(even a script kiddie) would have one.
    Most things like this, in fact most security related problems in general, can be avoided with a little basic understanding and making sure that your OS & apps are fully patched.

Of course not everyone does this and that's where the skiddies have their fun.

Simple solutions:

Patch & stay up to date.
    Switch off / filter any unrequired services.
    Test yourself for vunerabilities - understand and resolve any issues.
    Mask your publically visible signatures (what does your web server announce itself to be?)
    Dont open emails you aren't confident of.

Simple stuff that will keep you safe from skiddies.

More dertermined hackers require more in depth knowledge, but why would a determined hacked be after your system if your not a company nor have anything valuable.

Skiddies=pain in the arse but easliy avoided.
    Malicious hackers are after something specific:
    Valuable Information.
    Commercial Gain
    Revenge

Dont' give the hacker's what they are after & you don't have to worry too much.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

If that's true, my guess is script kiddies probably don't know that it doesn't work. Or maybe, they don't even care. It probably just makes them feel all important just having one.

But this thread reminds me of a time I was in a Yahoo chat room. Someone was in there, convinced that he could get anyone in the room's IP only using Sub7. Guess he didn't know that the client needs to be installed on a victims machine before that can happen. :-)

I think you mean the server .

I think you mean the server .
    In words of the great Homer Simpson... D'OH!! *smacking forehead* Sorry, I always get those two confused... At least you knew what I meant...

alpha

I found a nuker... tested it on myself... it disconnects you from the internet... ooo scary lol. But i can see how it would get very annoying.