Confused about Java

Thread: Confused about Java

Confused about Java

OK, I'm sure this is going to make me look stupid, but it was once said there is no such thing as a stupid question. I wonder if this will test that theory, lol.

I searched the threads and didn't find anything, so I'm going to post this question now.

In Grade 10, I took Programming 20 (covers C++, HTML, and some kind of Java) I'm heading to Grade 12 now (going to take Programming 30), and I can't remember any HTML or Java. I went to the book store and got some books to learn HTML, Java, and C++.

After reading through some Java books, I'm now confused. Is there only one kind of Java? Or is there a difference between Java and Javascript? I got this book called 'Core Java 2 Volume I Funamentals' ISBN 0-13-04177-1. After reading the intro of this book, I'm even more confused. Is there a difference with Core Java vs Java or Javascript? I remember the Java I did in school as been kinda web-based, it was in the same unit as HTML. So, I guess what I'm trying to get at here, is Java, or Core Java a programming language and Javascript some kind of web programming language, or are they the same? Sorry, I'm probably not making ANY sense here at all. My mind is all messed up! Its like a Windows ME box that has never been defraged...

I need to know soon, I only have 14 days to return this book if its not what I need. (I spent $80 CAN on it too)

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Java is a programming language, similar to C++ that requires a compiler and everything. Javascript is a mini-Java designed for online use, and integration with HTML, etc. etc. So yes, there is a difference.

Oh yeah! Now I'm remembering! Thats right! Man, my memory is pathetic! lol. OK, thats why everything I was reading in these Java books wasn't making any sense. Now I feel really silly for posting this... lol.

Thanks Plasitc!

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.