Thread: AntiVirus Stickies

Banned

AntiVirus Stickies

This forum is being 'spammed' by multiple threads regarding the same topic. As new info is being released, people make new threads (before you say anything: yes, I've done that as well ).

Merging all those threads could be an option, but:

- There are usually A LOT of threads on the same topic... it wouldn't be a problem if I'd be here 24/7, but guess what: I am not
    - Merging ain't exactly the easiest moderator option
    - When threads are merged, they are inserted in the 'original' thread on their respective place, based on when they were posted: replies won't match the previous post, people won't find their posts anymore,... it'll be even more confusing than it is now.

Here's something I'd like to try. Let me know what you all think.

Whenever a new 'important' virus/worm breaks out, I'm going to make one thread regarding that virus/worm sticky. You are adviced to post all info in that one thread. I won't delete other threads, you don't *have* to post in the sticky thread, but it would definitely make the board look cleaner.

I'd like to hear some opinions, and especially about what I should do with 'old' stickies: unstick them? And when?

Thank you.

Banned
    excellent idea ....i've gettin tired to see every new version of a virus gettin posted on the main page ....there are like 5 threads about viruses and trojans a day ...i like the idea .......everyone can post new viruses in there ...and we'll try and make your job as a mod as easy as we can .... AO COMMUNITY AGREED ?

Banned
    Having that "sticky thing" would definatly make it a lot easier, maybe if it were to do with virus,worms,trogens ect allerts then create them in a sticky names bugs "or somthing" then in a sub folder have Viruses and a nuther subfolder for Trogens.
    Do you see what im trying to say??

As for "unsticking" them I think maybe do it a few days after the last reported "sighting/infection".
    OR
    instead of having them unstuk. have a nuther sub folder or primary folder names cured "or somthing" and as soon as thay are unreported there name goes in to there along with a link to the "vaxceine" (AV) for that particular bug..

Hope you understand... and it is of help to you...

Nightfalls_Girl

Yes a Sticky thread..

Is it possable to have a forum (In this case a AV Warnings Forum) where only a single message appears in the mainpage when an update is made, that is when a new thread or posting in a thread.. or just a link on the mainpage exclusivly to a Virus/Worm Warning Forum..

dunno just ideas..

don't want ya job.. so will work with ya.. I dropped posting any and every Warning to just those that appeared to have potential..

Hey how about a hot topics list on the mainpage.. so the hotest threads appear in their own little box.. mmmm mb not..

ok.. that has wasted enough electrons..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Sounds like a good idea Negative. You could probably unstick them when the posting frenzy has died off.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I think that your idea would probably work well.. The only issue is that it will require the cooperation of members who understand what you are doing and therefore post to the sticky. I know you said you wouldn't delete the other threads that exist on the subject, but is the hope that they would just fall off as nobody posted to them and all posted to the sticky? I'm almost inclined to say that you might want to look at deleting the other threads after the sticky is created - if not, those other threads are still going to be around, at least long enough till they can get bumped down which sometimes may take a while..

I do think that if everyone posted to one sticky that you create, it would most certainly make the boards look cleaner (which is always nice)...

EDIT: Oh yea, almost forgot about when to unstick them. I think the only basis you can go on is like SirDice said, when the hype over the issue has faded. I'd say at that point you are looking at a few weeks. Take the RPC worm - fully hyped now, but hopefully in another week or two, as users learn about it, systems are patched, etc., it won't be a big deal anymore. Maybe two to two and a half weeks total sticky time?
    - Maverick

its a good idea but its gonna be difficult to get people to post all items to the sticky in the beginning. But in the long run it could be useful as it'll clean up the board. people just have to get used to it and hopefully they will read the other postings b4 posting a new thread.

Like the RPC problem had too many postings all over the place that was cluttering the board up and making it difficult to find the other stuff. all the rpc threads were in some way related but people kept posting more and more stuff in new threads even though some of it had been answered in another thread. I wish some people would search around b4 posting. But is guess at that point in time a lot of people were panicking.

Hmm, the only thing I wonder about is like w/ the RPC worm, everyone was having different symptoms at first, and didn't realize they were all talking about the same thing (w/ a few exceptions who apparently didn't bother looking at anything at all before they posted). I think it's a good idea though, and maybe once it's implemented, people will wait for it and use it like it's supposed to be used.

Will it be sticky on the main page? If it's not I don't know if people will use it. Sorry if this has been asked before, I just skimmed thru the thread.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    personially i still like my idea best, would be fairly easy to manage as long as ppl posted in the right places, maybe have like drop down boxes that you have to do b4 you can post in there.
    eg what type "drop down box" virus worm trogen ect other
    and pending on what thay select pends on what part of the forum thay get taken to...

Just a thought...

Nightfalls_Girl

i think that this information is important enough to have a thread of its own
    But no one else has posted this before
    I tried to delete it.. but it locked up
    All justifications used in the last few days for starting a new thread on a current topic..

for the lazy.. it is a pain to read some of the long threads.. then (and i am guilty of this as well) pointless replies in threads, that is other than the "Thanks Fixed Problem", or "Still in the crap" posts .. that fill some threads.. But we can justify that as well ..Can't we?

I still hold to a "Post in forum" message on the home page instaed of filling the home page with unneeded traffic.. ie a most recently posted forum top10.. then the current posting list.. and clicking on the top ten takes you to a the forum post list..

just a further thought..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr